Mules Get by the Bobcats to Win the CBB Title

WATERVILLE, Maine -- The 2011 edition of Colby College did what no other Mule team has been able to do since 1999 -- defeat Bates College and Bowdoin College in the same season.

The Mules did that Friday with a 10-8 win over the Bobcats to win the Colby-Bates-Bowdoin (CBB) Championship for the first time in 12 years. Colby (9-6 overall, 4-5 NESCAC) earned the sixth seed in the New England Small College Athletic Conference Championships and will play at third-seeded Middlebury College in a league quarterfinal game Sunday at 1:00 p.m. The Panthers took an 11-6 win over the Mules during the regular season.

While no NCAA records are kept for quickest time to score three goals, the Mules and Bates likely would be close to any mark after scoring three goals in a span of 13 seconds in the second quarter.

Colby's John Jennings (Danvers, Mass.) scored the lone goal of the first quarter for either team off an assist from Ian Deveau (Portsmouth, R.I.). Jennings then tallied on the first two goals of the second quarter, the first off a pass from Greg McKillop (Washington, D.C.) and the other after picking up a rebound off Bates goalie Charlie Kazarian (Providence, R.I.) and firing in a shot. Jennings reached 40 goals on the season and is one away from tying the single-season goal record of Whit McCarthy (2009) and Brent McLean (1995).

Bates battled back as Luke Charest (Freeport, Maine) assisted on two straight goals. Gary Guinta (Bay Shore, N.Y.) scored the first of his four goals with 12:02 to play in the second quarter and Will Gilkeson (Cleveland Heights, Ohio) tallied on a man-up with 9:49 to play and the Bobcats appeared to have the momentum in their favor.

Craig Bunker (Topsfield, Mass.), Colby's two-time All-American face-off man, scored his first goal of the season after winning the ensuing draw after the goal by Gilkeson. Bunker scored his first goal of the season just six seconds after the Bates goal. Bunker again won the face-off and Greg McKillop tallied just seven seconds later off a pass from Bjorn Knutson (Bloomington, Minn.) to make it 5-2 Mules.

The teams split goals the rest of the half as the Mules took a 6-3 lead into intermission. Derrik Flahive (Littleton, Colo.) ripped a shot in off a pass from Mark Squicciarino (Titusville, N.J.) with 5:49 to play, but the Bobcats received an unassisted goal from Kyle Starr (Concord, N.H.) with just 43 seconds to play.

Bates closed the lead to two goals on two occasions in the third quarter, but each time Colby answered with goals. Wylie Leabo (Belmont, Mass.) scored with 13:15 to play for Bates off a Guinta pass only to see Chris Barrand (Beverly, Mass.) tally about a minute later from McKillop. Guinta again had an assist as Rob Highland (Yarmouth, Maine) cut the lead to 7-5 for Bates with 10:14 left.

The Mules, though, received back-to-back goals from Jonathan McIvor (Sudbury, Mass.) and Flahive to go up 9-5. Guinta and Barrand traded goals in the final 2:30 of the third period to make it a 10-6 Colby lead heading into the fourth quarter.

Bates held the Mules without a goal in the final period, but two goals by Guinta only brought the final to 10-8. Guinta finished with four goals and two assists.

Bunker won 16 of 23 face-offs and had six groundballs for the Mules. Knutson also had six groundballs, while defenders Christian Kelso (Summit, N.J.) and Chris Healy (New Canaan, Conn.) both had three.

Kevin Helm (Norwell, Mass.) had five groundballs for Bates, while goaltender Charlie Kazarian (Providence, R.I.) had a fine game with 15 saves.

Colby keeper Peter Reiley (Marblehead, Mass.) had 10 stops.


Create a free lacrosse website