Cardinals Edge Camels in Game of Socring Runs

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (Fri., April 29) -- Junior Teddy Citrin scored the tying goal for Wesleyan with a bouncer off a run from the left side with 11:30 remaining in the fourth period, then put the Cardinals ahead for good just 23 second later with a similar play as Wesleyan came away with an 11-10 NESCAC victory over visiting Conn. College here this afternoon in the final regular-season game for each squad.

Both teams move on to the NESCAC tournament Sunday, May 1, with a first-round road game. Wesleyan, seeded fifth, heads to fourth-seeded Trinity while Conn. College has the daunting task of playing defending national champion and top-seeded Tufts.

The Cardinals are no strangers to one-goal NESCAC games this season as all five of their conference victories have come by a lone tally. In a game during which each side control a pair of periods, Wesleyan picked the fourth quarter as well as the second quarter to dominate scoring-wise while the Camels owned a 7-0 edge in goals during the first and third periods.

Wesleyan twice had to rally from three goal deficits after Conn forged a 3-0 lead after 15 minutes of play, and then ran up a 9-6 advantage heading into the final stanza. As a result, Wesleyan countered the three-goal Camel run in the first period and four-goal streak in the third by running off four in a row in the second and five straight in the fourth for its largest lead at 11-9.

That 11th Wesleyan goal came with Wesleyan enjoying a man-advantage and the third camel keeper of the game, freshman Matt Weiner, chasing in the zone in an attempt to regain possession. Weiner had played just seven minutes in goal all season coming into the game and handled the net for the final 7:20 vs. Wesleyan in a game that meant little to Conn as far as its NESCAC seeding. Junior Matt Landow put home the final Wesleyan goal, his 17th of the year, off a feed from junior DJ Bernatavitz with just 1:10 to go.

The Camels won the ensuing faceoff and took just 17 second to narrow the gap back to one goal as freshman Jack Willson scored the first goal of his career off a good run from the right. Conn won the final faceoff as well thanks to sophomore Brendan Schrader, who won 11 of 16 during the game, helping the Camels to a 16-8 edge for the game. Conn got off two wide shots during the final 20 seconds before Wesleyan knocked the ball free and sophomore Mike Robinson got the final ground ball of the game for Wesleyan just before time expired.

Citrin finished the game with a hat trick and added as assist, improving his team-high goal output to 26. Senior Conor Malangone also had three goals for Wesleyan, giving him 14 on the season while Bernatavitz had a goal and three assists, bringing his season total to 27 points.

The Camels were led by the two goals of freshman JR Hartgers, who also scored the first goal of his career during the contest. In total, nine difference Camels picked up a marker in the game. Freshman Tom Woessner, who came into the game with a lone goal to his credit on the season, picked up a goal and two assists to pace Conn in scoring on the day.

Junior Grant Covington went the distance in net for Wesleyan, posting eight saves. Junior John Lenehan started in goal for the Camels, playing all but 30 seconds in the first quarter and posting five saves without allowing a goal. Junior Rob Moccia played 38 minutes with seven saves and 10 goals allowed while absorbing the loss.


Create a free lacrosse website