Clark Tops Wheaton in Two Overtime Thriller

Worcester, Mass. Clark junior Phil Winslow (Providence, R.I.) scored the game-winning goal with less than a minute remaining in the second overtime to lift the host Cougars to a thrilling 11-10 victory over Pilgrim League rival Wheaton on Saturday afternoon at Granger Field.

The win for Clark over the Lyons is just their second in 18 all-time meetings, and improves their record to 6-8 overall and 2-3 in league play.

For Wheaton, meanwhile, the loss is eerily similar to the way they won their last game an 11-10 double overtime win over MIT last Saturday. The Lyons end their regular season at 3-10 and 2-3 in Pilgrim League action.

The Cougars, who won a combined 12 games in the three seasons prior to head coach Jeff Cohen's arrival, have now won 12 in his first two years at the helm the second winningest two season stretch in the history of the program.

Winslow's heroics overshadowed a monster afternoon from Wheaton senior Ben Cederberg (Duxbury, Mass.) who scored a game-high six goals.

Cederberg's first score of the game less than two minutes into the contest gave the Lyons a short-lived 1-0 lead.

Five minutes later Chris Johnson (Amherst, Mass.) found the back of the net to even the score and then he gave Clark a 2-1 edge with three seconds left in the first quarter on his second unassisted tally.

Johnson capped off the natural hat trick when took a feed from Eugene Arsenault (South Portland, Maine) less than 30 seconds into the second quarter and made the score 3-1, where it remained for the rest of the first half.

Clark kept the momentum on its side when Arsenault set up Winslow for his first goal of the game in the opening moments of the third period. The Cougars added another score when Jeffery Wasson (Lake Forest, Ill.) deposited his shot in the back of the net at 12:54.

With the score 5-1, the Lyons mounted a rally, scoring the next three goals, including a pair from Cederberg and another from Chris Landers (Manchester, Mass.) to close the gap to 5-4.

Wasson, however, gave Clark some breathing room with a diving goal with one second left on the clock in the third quarter.

The fourth quarter started with Matt Fields (Oceanside, N.Y.) winning the faceoff and Kyle Klapp (Schenectady, N.Y.) scooping up the groundball and racing more than half the field for his second goal of the season.

Conor Whitney (West Hartford, Conn.) fed Cederberg for another score at the 9:30 mark and then Bobby Barry (Duxbury, Mass.) registered a tally less than minute later to bring Wheaton to within one at 7-6.

Danny Heelan (Avon, Conn.) and Nick Figliola (Weston, Conn.) notched markers a little more than two minutes apart for Clark to bump the lead to 9-6, seemingly giving the Cougars enough breathing room.

The Lyons, answered back with goals from Cederberg and Charlie Willauer (Duxbury, Mass.) and then with a little more than a minute remaining, got the equalizer from Sean Doherty (East Lyme, Conn.).

Wheaton wasn't done, as Cederberg capped his outstanding afternoon with the go-ahead goal with help from Billy McNamara (Mansfield, Mass.) with 18 seconds remaining in regulation.

The Cougars made one final push, and after a timeout, Johnson went one-on-one and found enough space to fire a shot that whistled past Lyon netminder Jesse O'Neil (Charlestown, Mass.) for the game-tying goal with five seconds left.

Each team had opportunities in the first overtime, but neither could convert. Clark looked as if it had won the game when Johnson weaved his way through the Wheaton defense and ripped a shot past O'Neil, but the ball rang off the post and out of play.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website