Western Connecticut Downs Southern Maine in 2OT

GORHAM, Maine -- Senior Bryan Gowen (Islip, N.Y.) scored his first goal of the season in the second overtime to give Western Connecticut a thrilling 10-9 victory over Southern Maine in a Little East Conference match played Sunday afternoon at Paula D. Hodgdon Field.

The win was the fourth in the last five games for the Colonials and secured the final home berth in the upcoming LEC tournament. The Colonials finished the regular season 9-6 overall and 4-3 in LEC. The Huskies finished the season 5-10 overall and 3-4 in the conference. The Huskies will be the fifth seed and face the Colonials in a first round playoff game Tuesday (time tba) at Westside Field in Danbury, Conn.

Gowen got the ball in his own end and raced up the field on the fast break. Carrying the ball into the offensive box, Gowen whipped a shot past USM sophomore goalie Kyle Dussault (Lewiston, Maine) for the game-winning goal.

Western Connecticut forced overtime when junior Sean Macey (New Fairfield, Conn.) scored his fourth goal of the game with 1:15 remaining in regulation. Macey led the WestConn offense with four goals and a pair of assists. Classmate Ryan Gillis (Norwich, Conn.) and freshman Ryan Foster (Ledyard, Conn.) had two goals apiece. Junior goalie Tyler Marton (Cheshire, Conn.) played an outstanding game making 18 stops.

Senior Tim Bryant (Peterborough, N.H./ConVal) and juniors Kyle Baker (Kennebunk, Maine) and Nate Prince (West Gardiner, Maine) each had two goals for the Huskies. Sophomore goalie Kyle Dussault (Lewiston, Maine) finished with nine saves.

The second half was a battle of one-goal leads for both sides. WestConn held a 4-3 lead at the break. Prince scored twice in the opening four minutes of the third quarter to give USM its first lead of the game, 5-4.

Macey and sophomore Andrew Bascom (Franklin, Mass.) scored to restore the lead, 6-5, to the Colonials. The sides traded goals by USM junior Willie Joy (Portland, Maine/Deering) and Gillis make it 7-6 in favor of WestConn at the end of three quarters.

Baker scored on a shot while falling to the ground, and freshman Dylan Bousquet-Smith (Bowdoinham, Maine/Mt. Ararat) found the net to give USM an 8-7 edge. Foster tied the game with 7:50 to play. USM junior Kayle Hamilton (Buxton, Maine/Bonny Eagle) scored a man-up goal, assisted by Bryant, with 6:33 left to give USM its last lead, 9-8.


Create a free lacrosse website