Huskies Hold off UMass-Dartmouth in LEC Tourney

GORHAM, Maine -- Third-seeded Southern Maine built an 8-5 lead in the opening half, then held off a determined sixth-seeded Massachusetts Dartmouth to take a 12-10 victory Tuesday afternoon in an opening round match of the 2011 Little East Conference tournament at Paula D. Hodgdon Field.

Southern Maine, the defending LEC champion, improves to 8-10 overall and advances to play second-seeded Keene State College in a semifinal match on Thursday (time tba). UMass Dartmouth finishes the season 5-10.

Freshman Jackie Kelly (Brunswick, Maine) and sophomore Lauren Santo (Salem, N.H.) paced USM scoring three goals apiece. Sophomore Shelby Turcotte (Lewiston, Maine) and freshman Rosie Forster (Andover, Mass.) added two goals and an assist while senior Mary Vaughan (Brunswick, Maine/Pomfret School) had a goal and two assists. Sophomore goalie Samantha Kiesel (Lakeville, Mass./Kents Hill) played another strong game between the pipes stopping 16 shots.

For the Corsairs, sophomore Brittney Enos (East Falmouth, Mass.) led the way with a game-high five points on three goals and two assists. Senior Samantha Wonson (Lowell, Mass.) had two goals and an assist, and sophomore Selina Houghton (Billerica, Mass./Shawsheen) scored a pair of goals. Sophomore goalie Angelina Donovan (Medford, Mass.) finished with 14 saves.

The Huskies opened the second half scoring twice in a span of 2:15 to extend their lead to 10-5. Turcotte took a feed from Forster to scored 11 seconds into the half, and Santo tallied an unassisted marker with 27:45 showing on the clock.

Enos got one back for the Corsairs a minute later scoring off a pass from senior Stephanie Kinchla (Falmouth, Mass.), but Turcotte restored the Huskies' five-goal lead with what proved to be the game-winning goal 22 seconds later.

After six scoreless minutes, Enos tallied an unassisted goal, and Wonson scored off a set up from rookie Taylor Corsano (Bourne, Mass.) to cut the deficit to three, 11-8.

Kelly scored her third goal, and the Huskies final marker, with 16:51 to play. Four-plus minutes later, Wonson scored her second goal with 12:23 to play. The Huskies defended their goal tenaciously surrendering the last goal of the game to Kinchla with only six ticks left on the clock.

In the opening half, USM grabbed the lead 13 seconds into the game when Forster controlled the draw and raced down the field to score. Leading by one (5-4) late in the half, the Huskies put together a string of three straight goals by Santo, Kelly and Forster in a span of 49 seconds to open an 8-4 advantage. Junior Allison O'Rourke (Weymouth, Mass.) scored for the Corsairs in the final minute of the half to make it 8-5 at the intermission.

UMass Dartmouth held a slim 36-35 edge in shots attempted.


Create a free lacrosse website