#3 Hopkins Storms by #13 Hofstra in 2nd Half

BALTIMORE, MD - Third-ranked and third-seeded Johns Hopkins outscored visiting Hofstra 8-1 in the second half to break open a close game as the Blue Jays knocked off the visiting Pride, 12-5, in the first round of the 2011 NCAA Division I Men's Lacrosse Tournament Saturday afternoon at Homewood Field. The win, JHU's eighth straight, improves the Blue Jays' record to 13-2. Hofstra ends the season at 13-3.

After battling to a 4-4 halftime tie, the Blue Jays took control in the third quarter as they outscored the Pride 4-1 in that period. Freshman Rob Guida jump-started the Blue Jays in the second half with his 11th goal of the season just under three minutes after intermission. The second of Kyle Wharton's three goals midway through the quarter made it 6-4, but the Pride pulled back within one with 4:16 remaining in the third quarter when Adrian Sorichetti fired home an extra man goal off an assist from Jay Card.

The Pride, who had led 2-0 less than four minutes into the game, then gave up back-to-back goals in a span of less than a minute late in the third quarter as the Blue Jays took an 8-5 lead into the final period. Senior Chris Boland dodged hard from behind the goal and wrapped in his second goal of the game, while Wharton completed his hat trick 51 seconds later when he took a nifty feed from Boland and went behind-the-back from the doorstep to give the Blue Jays their first three-goal lead of the game.

Any hopes for a Hofstra comeback were dashed in the first eight minutes of the fourth quarter as the Blue Jays scored three goals in that span to extend the lead to 11-5. Sophomore John Greeley worked his hands free from 10 yards out and beat Hofstra's Andrew Gvozden with his second goal of the game, while classmate Zach Palmer was on the back end of a cross-crease pass from senior Mark Goodrich and quick-sticked home his 22nd goal of the season. An extra-man goal by Brandon Benn with 7:16 remaining and an empty net goal by senior Tim Donovan with just over three minutes left accounted for the final scoring.

Hofstra needed little time - six seconds to be exact - to take an early lead as John Antoniades won the game-opening faceoff cleanly and raced to the goal, where he beat Blue Jay goalie Pierce Bassett from in tight to make it 1-0 before the echo from the national anthem had quieted. When Card fired home his 29th goal of the season at the 11:18 mark off a feed from fellow senior Jamie Lincoln, the Pride had all the momentum.

The Blue Jays never solved Gvozden in the first quarter as he posted four saves, including a pair on shots from in tight as the Pride led 2-0 entering the second quarter.

The Blue Jays finally broke through just under three minutes into the second quarter when Boland and Palmer worked a nifty play behind the goal that sprung Boland free and he walked in front unguarded and beat Gvozden from in tight. The energy in the stadium was all Hopkins less than 30 seconds later when freshman Phil Castronova forced a turnover, scooped up the loose ball and raced into the Hofstra zone, where he fired a low shot inside the far post to make it 2-2.

Greeley's first goal of the game two minutes later and the first of Wharton's three goals five minutes after that gave the Blue Jays a 4-2 lead late in the second quarter, but a Kevin Ford goal 95 seconds before halftime and a Brad Loizeaux strike with just six seconds remaining in the first half made it 4-4 at intermission. That tie held for less than three minutes in the third quarter before Guida's goal ignited the 8-1 game-ending run for the Blue Jays.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website