Hartwick Defeats Marywood in ECAC Semifinals

SPRINGFIELD, MA - Sophomore midfielder Joe Shields (Loudonville, NY/Shaker) scored what proved to be the winning goal with 3:36 remaining as Hartwick earned an 8-6 victory over Marywood in a semifinal round game of the ECAC Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship on Saturday.

Shields' goal broke a 6-6 tie and sophomore attacker Harry Hughes (Holtsville, NY/Sachem East) added an insurance goal with 1:41 left as the Hawks advanced to the title game Sunday against the winner of the Western New England/Mitchell contest.

With the victory, the Hawks inch closer to their fourth ECAC crown in College history. In addition, 'Wick reaches the 10-win mark for just the eighth time in the 47 years of the program and the first time since 2005.

Hartwick (10-8) led 3-2 after the opening period before the Pacers scored three times in the second quarter to take a 5-3 advantage at the half. The Hawks answered with three goals in the third stanza to lead by one entering the final period.

Marywood senior attacker William Roerden tied the game just 2:45 into the fourth quarter and the game remained tied until Shields finally broke through with the game-winner.

Senior midfielder Dave Aitchison (Farmingdale, NY/Farmingdale) led Hartwick with two goals and two assists while freshman attacker Phil Schaefer (Holbrook, NY/Sachem North) added a goal and assist. Hughes scored twice in the game. He becomes the first player in Hartwick history to score 60 goals in a single season.

Sophomore defender Jake Cooper (Manlius, NY/Fayetteville Manlius) contributed five ground balls and freshman goalie Nick Triano (North Andover, MA/St. Johns Prep) compiled seven saves.

Roerden and freshman attacker Riley Dobel each finished with a goal and assist for Marywood. Senior midfielder George Downey IV picked-up five ground balls. Senior goalie Jesse Habich made 14 saves.

Hartwick had a slight advantage in both shots (37-32) and ground balls (25-23). Marywood had the edge in face-offs, 8-7.

The Pacers end their season with an 11-7 record. The Hawks advance to tomorrow's championship against either the host Bears or the Mitchell College Pequots. Game time is set for 1:00 p.m.

* * * *

Springfield, MA Hartwick outscored Marywood 5-1 in the second half of Saturday afternoon ECAC semifinal game and advanced to Sunday's championship game with an 8-6 win over the Pacers. The Hawks, who overcame a 5-3 halftime deficit, improve to 10-8 this spring with the victory while Marywood ends their season with an 11-7 record.

Hartwick took the lead just 28 seconds in Saturday's contest when Jake Cooper scored off of a Phil Schaefer assist, but Marywood equalized less than two minutes later when Nick Parks found the back of the net off a feed from William Roerden. An unassisted tally by Chris Riley gave the Pacers a 2-1 lead with 11:23 remaining in the opening stanza, but tallies by Dave Aitchison and Brian Finnegan put the Hawks up 3-2 after the first quarter.

Marywood would score the only three goals of the second quarter in a span of just 35 seconds to hold a 5-3 advantage at halftime. After Marcus Janda scored unassisted at the 11:06 mark, Hartwick was assessed a personal foul, giving the Pacers the ball and an extra-man opportunity where Riley Dobel tallied off a pass from Brian Roerden at the 10:49 mark to give Marywood a 4-3 lead. George Downey IV won the ensuing face-off and used a strong solo effort to give Marywood a two-goal cushion just 18 seconds after Dobel's goal.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website