Top-Seeded Michigan Cruises by Lindenwood

Denver, CO Top-seeded Michigan advanced to the Quarter-Finals of the MCLA tournament on Tuesday afternoon (May 17), defeating #16 seed Lindenwood by a score of 16-8. Following a slow start that saw Michigan take a 6-4 lead into half-time, the Wolverines came out strong in the third, out-scoring the Lions 4-0 in the period. U-M held on down the stretch en-route to the win. The Maize and Blue will take on #8 Oregon on Wednesday, May 18 at 4:00 pm MST in quarterfinal action.

Michigan registered the first tally of the game as senior attackman Chad Carroll (Cincinnati, OH St. Xavier High) scooped up a loose ball on a failed LU clear, dodged on the crease and shot over the goaltender just over a minute into the game. The Lions scored at 11:36, but the Wolverines quickly answered just over a minute later when junior midfielder Alex Vasileff (Birmingham, MI Seaholm) set up on the high right wing and finished on a high blast for a 2-1 lead.

Each team battled over the next few minutes before the Lions took the lead scoring back-to-back goals under a minute and a half starting at 4:28 on a man-up opportunity. With just over a minute left in the first quarter, senior captain and attackman Trevor Yealy (Pittsburgh, PA Upper St. Clair) assisted freshman midfielder Andrew Hayden (Carlsbad, CA La Costa Canyon) just out front making it a 3-3 tie at the end of the first quarter.

Lindenwood scored first in the second at 11:20 to take the lead for a majority of the quarter. At 2:14, junior midfielder Brent Kirshner (Ann Arbor, MI Huron) drove to the net and scored on a high blast on an assist from transfer sophomore Ryan Dutton-O'Hara (Mount Airy, MD Urbana St. John's) at X. Exactly one minute later, Yealy scored from the mid wing on an assist from sophomore attackmanThomas Paras (Lakewood, OH St. Ignatius) from behind the net. On a similar play, Paras fed Dutton-O'Hara for a crease dodge shooting over the goalie with just eight seconds left in the half for a 6-4 Wolverine lead after 30 minutes.

To start the second half, and as they have all season, U-M replaced senior goaltender Mark Stone(Greenwood Village, CO Cherry Creek) with senior goaltender Andrew Fowler (Grosse Pointe, MI Hotchkiss, CT) on a planned goalie change. U-M came out firing in the third as Yealy added to his production with back-to-back goals highlighted by his second as he faked out the goalie on the crease on an assist from senior captain and defender Harry Freid (Needham, MA Needham) coming at 10:03.

After six minutes of play elapsed, freshman midfielder Doug Bryant (Princeton, NJ Princeton) beat the LU goaltender on an unassisted, high blast from the wing. With 2:35 left in the quarter, senior midfielder Stephen Levitt (Alpine, NJ Dwight-Englewood) weaved through defenders from the low wing and beat the goalie low, lifting the Wolverines to a 10-4 lead with only one quarter left to play.

After being held off the score sheet for an entire quarter, the Lions scored three unanswered goals in under two and a half minutes to start the fourth. Thirty seconds later sophomore midfielder Joe Hrusovsky (Lake Forest, IL Lake Forest) drove from the top of the box to the left wing and beat the goaltender by shooting through his legs to slow the LU momentum. After U-M won the following faceoff, Vasileff scored from the low right wing on a far side blast to make it 12-7 just over three minutes into the quarter.

Over the next three minutes Yealy tallied three more goals to increase the Wolverine lead to 15-7, putting the game out of reach for all intents and purposes and giving the senior captain five goals on the afternoon. Under two minutes later, Hrusovsky scored on another left-wing dodge to wrap up Michigan's scoring run. Lindenwood scored on a last-second shot with only 0:01 left on the clock making it a 16-8 victory in favor of the Wolverines.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website