Two CT Boys' Titles Decided by One Goal

With two championship games being decided by one goal this past Saturday, it's safe to say that it was a weekend to remember. Get the latest on the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference boys' lacrosse championships, which included title games for Class L, M, and S.

Ridgefield Stuns Fairfield Prep for Class L Boys' Championship

Attackman Sean Wilkinson tallied a crafty score with just 14.5 seconds left in regulation to lift Ridgefield to an 11-10 win over Fairfield Prep in the CIAC Class L boys' championship game. Wilkinson's score capped a thrilling three-goal rally in the fourth quarter for the Tigers. Meanwhile, the title was the second overall for Ridgefield and the program's first Class L championship.

All signs early on pointed towards a Fairfield victory as the Jesuits opened up a commanding 6-1 lead after the first quarter. However, Ridgefield struck back in the second with four unanswered goals to cut its deficit to just one at halftime.

Later in the fourth and trailing 10-8, Ridgefield made it a one-goal game when Aidan Scott found the back of the net with eight minutes left. Next up, Sean Riley knotted the score at 10-10 with four minutes remaining thanks to a slick feed from Matt Hrvatin. The quick momentum shift paved the way for Wilkinson's go-ahead goal with less than 15 ticks remaining. The junior made an athletic dodge move from behind the net before launching a rocket high that found its way past the keeper.

Scott finished with three goals for Ridgefield, while teammates Eric Scala,Andrew Buckanavage, and Riley added two goals apiece.

Connor Kelly finished with a game-high five goals to lead Fairfield. The Jesuits have now endured back-to-back one-goal defeats in the state finals.

Ten-Goal Run Lifts Wilton to Class M Boys' Title

Midfielder Michael Serpa scored four goals, while teammates Connor Melillo and Christopher Nugent both added two scores to lead Wilton to a 12-2 victory over New Canaan for the Class M boys' championship. The title was the first for Wilton since taking the Division I championship in 2004.

Wilton set the tone from the opening whistle with two goals in the first two minutes of action. After New Canaan cut its deficit to one just moments later, Wilton embarked on a ten-goal run over the next three periods to take a commanding 12-1 lead in the fourth quarter.

Wilton goalie Sam Somers made 16 saves overall and was a key factor in keeping New Canaan at bay especially early on. Meanwhile, Wilton senior Michael Francia added a goal and three assists on the day and ended his career as the program's all-time leading scorer with 329 points.

In addition to a consistent offense and strong defensive performance, Wilton controlled the ground ball and face-off battles. Ted Ottens went 16-for-18 at the face-off X and secured timely possessions for Wilton throughout the contest.

Michael Bossidy and Peter Kraus scored the only goals for New Canaan. This was the third match-up of the season between the two teams, with Wilton taking the overall series two games to one.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website