#1 Brigham Young Edges #18 Simon Fraser

BOISE, Idaho -- In a tight game on Saturday, BYU was able to pull ahead and beat Simon Fraser University 14-10 in Boise, Idaho.

Barely five minutes into the game, Simon Fraser (1-2) was up two goals to none. BYU (3-0) answered by scoring three goals, which was quickly matched by Simon Fraser. Both teams were determined to maintain the lead, with a score of 4-4 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter showed more scoring from the teams, as well as a number of penalties on both sides. The score at the half had BYU up 7-5.

BYU was a man down heading into the third quarter as a result of a non-releasable penalty that had been called near the end of the first half. Simon Fraser was able to get two goals past BYU sophomore goalie Wes Goar to tie the game before senior Pat Matheson responded bringing the score to 8-7.

The score was then tied up at 8, but BYU was able to pull away and score three unanswered goals ending the third quarter with a score of 11-8.

The fourth quarter saw more penalties on either side, resulting in BYU playing three men down at one point. Despite this, the Cougars came away with the win and a final score of 14-10.

“Simon Fraser was well-prepared for us,” said BYU Head Coach Matt Schneck. “I was very pleased with how we played, and I thought the guys showed a lot of energy and did a fantastic job.”

Simon Fraser Head Coach Brent Hoskins said he was pleased with the opportunity to play BYU.

“We knew today was going to be a great test to see where we are at this point in the season,” Hoskins said. “It's always our objective each year to put together a tough strength of schedule so hopefully we can continue to make strides forward throughout the season.”

BYU played three games in three days, and they will have a short break from traveling before heading out west to California on Wednesday to play three more games.

“Rest is going to be important, we need to take care of injuries with some of the players and we have a few strategy things we need to work on to prepare for tough games in California,” Schneck said.

* * * *

BOISE, ID (February 12, 2012) – Despite playing the defending MCLA National Champions close over 60:00 minutes, No. 18 Simon Fraser would fall short of the upset, edged 14-10 by No. 1 Brigham Young.

Sophomore attack Calvin Craig (Coquitlam, BC/Gleneagle Secondary) once again led the Clan with 2 goals and 2 assists, while freshman Sam Clare (Ladner, BC/Vancouver College) continued his strong play with his second 3-point outing in as many games, contributing 2 goals and an assist from the midfield.

Junior Colton Dow (Coquitlam, BC/Heritage Woods Secondary) also had a 3-point afternoon with 2 goals and an assist, while fellow attack, freshman Ward Spencer (Saskatoon, SK/Evan Hardy Collegiate) registered the first multi-point effort of his young collegiate career with 2 goals. The hard fought contest was played neutral site at Boise State University, on the blue turf inside Bronco Stadium.

A young Clan squad would fight off any signs of intimidation, racing out to an early 2-0 lead on the senior-laden Cougars, as Clare scored his first of the game in transition, before Craig fed Dow across crease to put Fraser up by two. With both sides showing mid-season form from the start, BYU would be quick to answer back, tying the game on goals by Patrick Matheson (Holliday, UT/Olympus HS) and Andrew Harding (Bethesda, MD/Walt Whitman HS), before Neil Wallace (Eagle, ID/Notre Dame de Namur University) gave BYU their first lead at 3-2.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website