Shingleton Paces Bobcats to OT Win vs. Panthers

BANNER ELK, N.C. -- Senior Josh Shingleton (Temecula, Calif.) scored his fourth goal of the game with 27 seconds left in overtime to propel the Lees-McRae College men's lacrosse team to a hard-fought 13-12 victory over Florida Institute of Technology on Friday evening in non-conference play.

Lees-McRae (1-2) won 20 of 29 face-offs on the day, while holding Florida Tech (0-2) to a 2 for 15 clip on extra-man opportunities. The Panthers edged the Bobcats by a 34-26 margin in ground balls, while also out-shooting Lees-McRae by a spread of 45-34.

Shingleton and Danny Ives (Cheadle, Cheshire, England) each scored four goals for the Bobcats, while Brett Yusiewicz (Chapel Hill, N.C.) added three goals and four assists in the contest. Derin Vacca (Wake Forest, N.C.) chipped in two goals and four assists, while winning 18 of 24 face-offs. Freshman Ryan Harrison (Lake Mary, Fla.) made 23 saves in his Tate Field debut.

Mike Marshner recorded a game-high seven goals for Florida Tech, as Andrew Conley added two goals and one assist. Mason Cook made 11 saves on the night, as Billy McClellan, Danny Channell, and Christian Isola each found the back of the net for the Panthers.

The Bobcats got off to a strong start in the first quarter, claiming an early 4-0 lead in the first two and a half minutes of the game on Ives' second goal of the afternoon at the 12:40 mark. After Shingleton pushed the lead to 5-1 with his second of the day, Marshner cut the margin to 5-4 with a pair of strikes, the second of which coming with 1:42 remaining in the period.

Lees-McRae would respond with three of the first four goals in the second, pushing the margin to 8-5 on Ives' third tally of the day with 6:12 to go in the first half. Marshner would answer for the Panthers just 16 seconds before the intermission, scoring his fifth of the contest to trim the margin to 8-6.

The Bobcats would push the lead to 10-7 in the third quarter, taking a three-goal advantage on Yusiewicz's third of the afternoon with less than a minute to go in the period. Florida Tech fought back in the fourth, cutting the lead to 11-10 on Marshner's seventh of the game with 4:53 to play. After Shingleton answered with a strike of his own at the 2:05 mark, Conley and McClellan answered for the Panthers in the final minute to even the tally at 12-12 and send the game into overtime.

Shingleton delivered the deciding strike with just 27 seconds left in the added period, fielding a wide shot by Vacca and slinging it into the net from point-blank range to give the Bobcats their first victory of the season.

Lees-McRae returns to action on Wednesday when the Bobcats travel to Gaffney, S.C. to take on Limestone College in conference play at 3:30 p.m.

* * * *

BANNER ELK, N.C. (Men's Lacrosse) Playing its first road game in program history, Florida Tech (0-2) barely missed achieving its first win, going the distance with Lees-McRae (1-2) before succumbing in overtime, 13-12, at Tate Field on Friday.

The Panthers hopes of obtaining their first victory were dashed when Josh Shingleton scored the game-winning goal with just 27 seconds remaining in the first sudden death overtime period. Billy McClellan had previously tied the game at 12 when he fired home his first goal of the season with 51 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

"We kept fighting and never gave up," head coach Ryan McAleavey said. "Overall we need to improve our shooting, but the important thing is that today we showed heart, clawing back and putting the game into overtime."

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website