California Opener Sees Detroit Edged by St. Mary's

SAN DIEGO, Calif. Freshman Tessa Keuler (Oregon City, OR/Oregon City) recorded her first collegiate hat trick and the Titans kept battling all game long, but Detroit just could not get the lead as it fell to St. Mary's, 11-10, in a tightly contested affair on Sunday afternoon at San Diego State's Aztec Field.

"I think we came together, especially at the end of the game," said head coach Laura Maness. "A lot of people contributed and seeing a freshman in Tessa come up with three goals was big."

Not only was it her first hat trick, it was also the first three goals of Keuler's career. Junior Zaynib Hamze (Dublin, CA/Dublin) had three points on two goals and an assist, while senior Corina Mahorn (Whitby, ON/Anderson CVI) found the back of the net twice.

Freshman Lexie McCormick (Peterborough, ON/St. Peters) played great in net tying her season high with 10 saves, while making several on free position shots to keep Detroit in the game.

"Lexie came up huge for us and played her best game," added Maness.

Detroit (0-3) played catch-up from the very start, but tied three times at 1-1, 5-5 and at 7-7. UDM was down 9-7 with just over four minutes left when junior Lindsey Saunders (Pasadena, MD/Northeast) took a pass from Hamze and beat the keeper to cut the deficit to one.

St Mary's (1-3) answered right away and again with just under a minute left, but Keuler netted her second goal with 48 seconds left and her third just 10 seconds later to once again get the Titans within one, 11-10. The first goal started with Mahorn winning a draw control and UDM taking advantage of a Gaels' foul, while the latter saw senior Anna Eidem (Champlin, MN/Totino-Grace) who won a team-high seven draw controls on the day - win the draw control and Keuler firing in a free position shot after another St. Mary's infraction.

The Titans though were never able to get the ball back as time expired on the spirited comeback.

"We played well and we just need to make a few more plays in order to win," said Maness.

Keuler started the scoring tying the game at 1-all midway through the first. After the Gaels scored three in a row, Hamze posted back-to-back goals just 37 seconds apart and Detroit was down, 4-3, with 4:31 left in the first.

St. Mary's scored with 2:09 left, but right before halftime, Mahorn took a pass from Eidem and notched a goal with 11 seconds remaining as the score was 5-4 at the break

Mahorn then tied it at 5-5 just five minutes into the second and the Titans also tied it at 7-7with 15:21 left in the game thanks to back-to-back markers from Eidem and senior Emily Boissonneault (Brooklin, ON/Donald A. Wilson).

The shots were even in the game with both squads getting 30 off. UDM won the battle of ground balls, 18-12, and draw controls, 15-8. McCormick and the Titans also kept St. Mary's close holing the Gaels to just a 3 of 11 effort on free position shots.

Detroit will be back in action on Tuesday as the Titans play San Diego State. Game time is set for 10:00 p.m. (EST).


Create a free lacrosse website