Campbell Helps Stony Brook Edge #18 Delaware

NEWARK, Del. -- After taking a two-goal lead late in the opening half, University of Delaware managed just one goal the rest of the game and suffered a 7-6 loss at the hands of Stony Brook Saturday afternoon at chilly Delaware Stadium.

The 18th ranked Blue Hens (3-4), who were coming off a big 13-9 win over then No. 8 Villanova last Saturday, could not keep the momentum going as they dropped the one-goal verdict. Three of the Hens' four losses this season have come by two goals or less.

Stony Brook (1-3), which won its first game of the season under rookie head coach Jim Nagle, got consecutive goals from Kyle Belton late in the first half to knot the score at 5-5 at the break and then went ahead for good on a goal by Mike Andreassi during the opening minute of the second half.

Delaware pulled to within 7-6 on a goal from Grant Kaleikau with 13:40 left to play, but neither team could find the back of the net the rest of the day as the Seawolves prevailed.

Kaleikau, an All-American candidate and Delaware's leading scorer, finished the day with two goals and an assist while Garrett Johnson added a goal and an assist and goalkeeper Chris Herbert made six saves. Connor McRoy, Mark Yetter, and Brenden Gilson also scored for the Hens while Dan Cooney, who entered the game ranked No. 15 in the nation in faceoff winning percentage, continued his outstanding play by winning 13 of 17 faceoffs.

Robbie Campbell led the Seawolves with two goals and two assists while Belton scored twice, Russ Bonanno had a goal and an assist, and Jeff Tundo dished out three assists. Stony Brook goalkeeper Sean Brady picked up the win as he relieved starter Ryan Keneally to start the second half and allowed just one goal while posting five saves.

Stony Brook scored two man-up goals in the opening stanza to jump out to a 3-1 lead heading into the final minutes of the opening stanza. But the Hens caught fire as Kaleikau scored his first goal with 15 seconds left in the period and Gilson scored with just two seconds left off a feed from Johnson to tie the game at 3-3.

Delaware took the lead early in the second quarter at 5-3 with another flurry as Yetter tallied with 12:38 left and Johnson scored just eight seconds later as Cooney won another faceoff to set things up.

The Seawolves answered behind the play of Belton, who took a feed from Watson and scored with 4:54 left before halftime, and then tallied again off an assist from Tundo with 3:03 left to tie the game at 5-5 at the break.

Stony Brook scored the only goal of the third quarter to take the lead for good at 6-5. Andreassi lost the faceoff to Cooney, but Cooney turned the ball over with Tundo securing the groundball. After working the ball around, Tundo fed Andreassi for the score with 14:04 left in the stanza.

Neither team scored again until Stony Brook took a 7-5 lead on a goal by Matt Bellando just under a minute into the final stanza. Delaware then found some life as Kaleikau took a feed from Dom Sebastiani and scored off the break with 13:40 left to pull the Hens to within a goal.

But that would be the final goal of the game as neither team could mount any offense the rest of the day.

Delaware had the chance to tie the game on a man-up opportunity with 4:37 left but Kaleikau's ground shot was saved by Brady with 3:49 left. Delaware had one last shot attempt but Brady saved a shot by Delaware's Carter Bloor with 51 seconds remaining to preserve the win.

Stony Brook defeated the Hens for the sixth straight time, including winning by a single goal for the second time in the last four meetings.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website