Slonaker, Engineers Edge Big Blue in Triple Overtime

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Jake Slonaker scored off a pass from Gabe Blanchet with 1:43 gone in the third overtime period to lift MIT to a 10-9 triumph over University of New England in non-conference action Saturday afternoon at Roberts Field.

The teams played through a pair of 4-minute, sudden victory sessions before Slonaker settled it with his lone marker of the match.

Bill Kelleher led the Engineers (1-1) with four goals. Ben Hessels, while adding a goal and an assist to the winning cause, captured 12 of the 18 face-offs he took and 10 ground balls. Christopher Rullan turned in 16 saves between the pipes.

For UNE (4-2), junior Tyler Thomas (Mount Pleasant, N.Y.) scored three goals and senior Mike Pennacchio (Peabody, Mass.) had two. Junior goalie Jay Letendre (Southington, Conn.) made nine stops in his first start of the season.

After MIT jumped out to a 2-0 lead less than five minutes into the first quarter, the Nor'easters closed the stanza with three to move in front. Tyler Thomas registered the last two for UNE.

Kelleher knotted things at 3-all early in the second, prior to Big Blue reeling off three more to gain a 6-3 cushion with 2:11 left in the period. But Kelleher was not done in the half, and found the back of the cage with 19 seconds and 11 seconds remaining in the frame to pull the Engineers to within one (6-5) at the break.

MIT continued with the momentum into the third, as the initial three scores went for the hosts to make it 8-6 Engineers. UNE got one back at the 1:02 mark courtesy of sophomore Nick Gross (Kennebunk, Maine), and then, with the man-advantage, senior Dylan Thomas (Mount Pleasant, N.Y.) found first-year Eddie Burke (Windsor, Conn.) with three ticks left to level the contest at 8-8 after 45 minutes.

Dylan Thomas set-up another play that put the Nor'easters on top with 4:52 elapsed in the fourth, as junior Ben Herman (Brunswick, Maine) netted his first of the season.

The 9-8 margin held for 2:03, until Mateo Pena Doll brought things back even for MIT with just over eight minutes on the clock in regulation.

Though Big Blue out-shot the Engineers, 10-2, in the fourth quarter, it could not get another past Rullan, who made six stops in the frame. UNE finished the match with a 42-26 margin in shots.

MIT hosts Wentworth Institute of Technology on Tuesday, while the Nor'easters visit nationally-ranked Endicott College on Monday (7:00 p.m.).


Create a free lacrosse website