Machin Leads Terriers to Victory over Wildcats

Chestnut Hill, Mass. Junior attackmen Sean Machin netted six goals and dished out one assist to help the Terriers pick up a 14-4 win over the Wildcats of Wheelock College for their first win of the season. With the win the Terriers end a four game skid and improve to 1-4 (0-0 NAC), while the Wildcats fall to 0-3 on the season.

Machin got the Terriers rolling netting the first goal of the game at the 13:18 mark of the first quarter, starting a string of four unanswered Terriers goals. Sophomore attackman Erik Tiner II registered a pair of goals over the opening 14 minutes of play, while senior attackman Derek Racine scored on a man up advantage for the Terriers. Wheelock got on the board with just eight seconds left in the opening quarter when Kevin Kareckas scored to pull the Wildcats to within 4-1.

The Terriers offense added four more goals in the second quarter, while Terriers defense held the Wildcats scoreless in the second to take an 8-1 lead at the break.

After killing a penalty in the opening minutes of the third quarter freshman Matt Davis tallied an unassisted goal at the 11:54 mark to put the Terriers up 9-1. The Terriers added three more goals in the third quarter before Kareckas stopped the bleeding with an unassisted goal with 16 seconds remaining in the third.

Wheelock's Wilson Chang put in the Wildcats third goal of the game at the 12:36 mark, before Machin hit his sixth goal of the game off of an assist from senior midfielder Doug Tibbets at the 10:53 mark. Kareckas finished his hat trick for the Wildcats at the 9:23 mark making it a 13-4 game. After coming out of the goal to play the field junior goalkeeper Jesse Morkeski netted his first career goal of the 6:56 mark capping the scoring for the day.

Machin added five ground balls to his day for Thomas, while Tiner II notched an assist in addition to his four goals and three ground balls. Racine, Davis and sophomore midfielder Gunnar Shelton each finished with multiple points with Racine scoring twice and assisting on a goal to go with four ground balls and Davis dishing for a pair of assists to go with a goal and a game-high 10 ground balls. Shelton assisted on three goals, picked up seven ground balls and caused three turnovers.

Morkeski stopped nine of 12 shots in 47:24 of action to earn the win for the Terriers, before yielding to Racine for the final 12:36 of play. Racine turned away six of seven shots.

The Terriers capitalized on 4 of 10 man up advantages, while killing all 15 of Wheelock's extra man opportunities'.

Next up for the Terriers is a non-conference game against SUNY Canton on Wednesday, March 21st at home; faceoff is set for 4:00 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website