No. 8 Diplomats Finish Strong, Edge Messiah in OT

LANCASTER, Pa. No. 8 Franklin & Marshall used a 7-1 run to end regulation and three key goals from Erin Dunne to defeat No. 12 Messiah, 15-14, in two overtimes Tuesday afternoon in non-conference action. Two of Dunne's goals sent the game into extra play and the third won the game for the Diplomats in the second overtime.

The Diplomats (5-1) trailed most the contest and found themselves in an 11-5 hole with 13:53 remaining in regulation, before outscoring the Falcons 7-1 in a 13-minute span to tie the game at 12. Dunne, Cat Serpe and Lauren Ehrhardt each tallied unassisted goals in less than three minutes to bring F&M within three, 11-8, at 8:47.

Rachel Dirksen stopped the bleeding momentarily for Messiah (6-1) with a free position goal at 7:57 to put the Falcons up 12-8. The Diplomats answered 36 seconds later when Ali Kelly found Lauren Selawski for the one-timer, which started a 4-0 F&M run down the final seven minutes of action.

Maggie Mae Shields scored on a free position at 6:01 to bring F&M within two, 12-10, and Serpe made 12-11 with a goal at the two-minute mark. Dunne netted a shot with 1:13 on clock, which sent the game into the first overtime.

Messiah won the opening draw of overtime and consumed almost the entire three minutes, before Kiersten McGreer found Gabrielle Hamelryck with 19 ticks on the clock to put the Falcons up 13-12.

Serpe picked up the draw after the teams switched sides and F&M fired off a shot seconds later that was saved with the Falcons controlling the ball. Messiah cleared the ball and chewed up over a minute, looking to run out the clock, but Shields forced a turnover at 1:22 and F&M cleared the ball and immediately called a timeout. The Diplomats came out of the huddle and set up their offense when Serpe found Ehrhardt to tie the game at 13 with 50 seconds left in the first overtime.

The Falcons took the draw and scored 37 seconds later to go up 14-13 with just 13 seconds left to play. Kelly won the ensuing draw, got fouled, and found Dunne racing down the field for the game-tying goal with just two seconds on the clock to send the game into the second overtime.

Kelly picked up the draw to start the second overtime period and Serpe took a shot at 2:21 that was saved by Taylor Phillips, before Serpe was issued a yellow card to put the Diplomats down a player. Messiah tried to capitalize when Lizzy Keeney fired a point-blank shot, but Kelsey Hoffman was in position for the save, giving F&M the ball back at 2:21.

The Diplomats cleared the ball and Dunne was repositioning to setup the offense inside the eight-meter before she was fouled, setting up a free position shot. Dunne made it count, finding the back of the net at 1:16 to win the game for the Diplomats.

Messiah jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the first eight minutes of play. Dunne netted a goal at 19:57, before the Falcons scored back-to-back goals to go up 5-1 at 18:02 in the first half. Serpe and Dunne scored goals five minutes apart to bring F&M within two, 5-3. Messiah went up 6-3 with a goal at 5:34, before Caroline Krohn scored on free position to send the game into the break with the Falcons holding onto a 6-4 edge.

The Falcons started the second half strong with four straight goals to take a commanding 10-4 lead ten minutes into the second period. Serpe answered with a score at 17:25 to make it 10-5, but Messiah answered with a goal at 13:53 to go up 11-5, which set up the Diplomats run.

Libby Nichols collected seven grounds balls and Jennifer Noon finished with five for the Diplomats.

Kelsey Hoffman stopped nine shots and improved to 5-1 on the season. Phillips took the loss with 11 saves.

F&M returns to action on Saturday when the Diplomats travel to Washington before heading to Salisbury on Sunday. Saturday's game starts at 4:00 p.m. and Sunday's contest will begin at 2:00 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website