Williams Jumps out to Early Lead to Defeat Generals

LEXINGTON, Va. – Williams College jumped out to a 4-0 first-quarter lead and never looked back in claiming an 8-4 win over Washington and Lee in men's lacrosse on Tuesday afternoon at Wilson Field.

Senior attackman Sam Hargrove (Wallingford, Pa./Strath Haven) got the scoring started for the Ephs (1-4) when he scored off an assist from senior midfielder Michael Acierno (Short Hills, N.J./Newark Academy) just 40 seconds into the game. Williams added goals at 8:11 and 4:44, before capping its opening run with a goal by junior midfielder Colton Growney (Berwyn, Pa./Haverford School) with 43 seconds left in the first period.

W&L (5-6) got on the board at the 12:02 mark of the second period, when junior attackman Mac Means (Sewickley, Pa./Sewickley Academy) scored unassisted, but Williams posted two more goals, one by Hargrove and another by first-year midfielder Steven Kiesel (Excelsior, N.M./Breck School), for a 6-1 lead at the half.

The Generals cut it to a 6-2 game just 2:32 into the third period when senior midfielder Sam Mott (Grosse Pointe, Mich./Grosse Pointe South) scored man-up off an assist from Means, but Hargrove answered at the 9:42 mark when he scored off a feed from Kiesel.

W&L added another man-up goal as first-year midfielder Garrett Paglia (Forest Hill, Md./Gilman) from rope following a pass from junior midfielder Jack Switala (Lloyd Harbor, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) with 5:51 left in the third period to make it 7-3.

Neither team found the cage until junior midfielder Evan Dedominicis (Greenville, Del./Tower Hill) scored with 19 seconds left in the game. Means added a tally with nine second left for the 8-4 final score.

Williams held a 41-34 advantage in shots and collected 42 ground balls as opposed to 27 for the Generals. W&L won 9 of 16 faceoffs and finished 2 for 3 on extra man opportunities.

Means led W&L with two goals and one assist. First-year Warren Berenis (Ocoee, Fla./Lake Highland Prep) received his first career start in goal and stopped a game-high 14 shots in 60 minutes of action.

Hargrove paced the Ephs with three goals, while Dedominicis notched two scores. Kiesel added one goal and one assist, and first-year Sean Dougherty (Smithtown, N.Y./Milton Academy) played the duration in goal, recording nine saves.

Washington and Lee returns to action on Saturday when it travels to Randolph College for a 3:00 pm contest.

* * * *

LEXINGTON, VA–– An early 4-0 lead helped Williams (1-4) claim their first win of the season, defeating Washington & Lee (5-6) 8-4. The Eph offense was led by senior Sam Hargrove (Wallingford, PA) and sophomore Evan Dedominicis (Greenville, DE).

The Generals won 56% of the face-offs, but Williams outshot Washington & Lee 41-34, and picked up 42 ground balls to W&L's 27. Williams' freshman goalie Sean Dougherty (Smithtown, NY) recorded nine saves and Washington & Lee's Warren Barrenis (Ocoee, FL) made fourteen.

Williams quickly recovered after losing the opening face-off, with Hargrove, assisted by fellow senior Michael Acierno, scoring just 40 seconds into the game. The Ephs kept up the pressure, with Dedominicis scoring eight minutes later off of a pass from Tucker Dayton (San Francisco, CA). Freshman Andy Grabowski (Philadelphia, PA) notched his third career goal a few minutes later to bring the score to 3-0. Colton Growney (Berwyn, PA) finished the quarter on a high-note, scoring the Ephs' fourth goal with 43 seconds remaining.

David Lee (Hillsborough, CA) carried Williams' momentum into the second quarter, beating Washington & Lee's Jared Mitchell (Garden City, NY) on the face-off. A slashing penalty by General Joe LaSala (Wilton, CT) gave the Ephs a brief man-up advantage, but they were unable to capitalize on the opportunity. The Generals got on the board when Mac Means (Sewickley, PA0 scored an unassisted goal at 12:02. Williams responded quickly, with Hargrove and Steven Kiesel (Excelsior, NM) scoring two more goals before the quarter was up.

The Generals tried to turn the tide in the third quarter, scoring two man-up goals to Williams' lone goal. The score stayed locked at 7-3, with both teams unable to find the net until Dedominicis scored with 19 seconds remaining. Washington & Lee's Means had the final say, though, scoring the Generals' fourth goal with nine seconds left to play.

The Ephs next to travel to Maine where they will face NESCAC foe Bates on March 31st and Bowdoin on April 1st.


Create a free lacrosse website