Offense Clicks as No. 13 Georgetown Runs by the Huskies

WASHINGTON No. 13 Georgetown had a big day on offense in a 21-11 victory over Connecticut (6-3, 0-2 Big East) Friday afternoon at Multi-Sport Field. The Hoyas had seven different players score goals to improve to 6-4 overall and 2-1 in Big East play.

"We came out strong today and it was a good team effort," said Georgetown Head Coach Ricky Fried. "There are still some things we need to clean up, but overall I'm really pleased with the hustle plays we made today."

Georgetown got going early with a goal from sophomore midfielder Hannah Franklin (Phoenix, Md./Mcdonogh School) just 50 seconds into the game off the draw control win from junior attacker Dina Jackson (Potomac, Md./Bullis). UConn fired back forty seconds later tying the score, 1-1.

UConn looked to control the pace after evening the score, forcing a Georgetown turnover in the midfield and setting up the offense for several minutes. The Huskies scored their second goal off a series of passes to find the open player behind the net. Kiersten Tupper made a spin move around the goal to take the 2-1 lead.

Junior midfielder Sophia Thomas (Lutherville, Md./Maryvale Prep) charged down the field off the draw control win and fired into the top right corner to make the score 2-2. Thomas struck again just minutes later with a low shot between the goalie's legs.

Freshman attacker Caroline Tarzian (Garden City,N.Y./Garden City) scored with 17:37 left in the first half after some miscommunication by the Husky defense and sophomore midfielder Kelyn Freedman (Newton Square, Pa./Radnor) found the back of the net 17 seconds later to make the score 5-2.

Jackson tallied her second of the game with half of the first period gone to make it 6-2 Georgetown.

Both teams played an aggressive defensive ride, leading to several minutes of back and forth action during the end of the first half.

Tarzian scored her second of the match off a pass from Jackson to make it a five-goal Georgetown lead with eight minutes remaining. Freedman became the third Hoya with two goals just over a minute later to give the Blue & Gray an 8-2 lead.

The Huskies ended their 7-0 scoring drought with two minutes left in the first half with M.E. Lapham driving through the middle to score an unassisted goal. UConn struck again thirty seconds later to cut the lead to four. Georgetown carried the 8-4 lead into the end of the half.

After 30 minutes of play, the Hoyas held an advantage in shots (16-8) and draw controls (10-3).

Jackson notched her second of the game two minutes into the second half. Junior midfielder Kelsi Bozel (Hunt Valley, Md./Notre Dame Prep) took advantage of a transition opportunity on the next possession to make the score 10-4. Freedman recorded her third goal just minutes later.

The Huskies got back in the offensive action with 24:41 remained on a goal from Tupper, but Tarzian converted on the free position attempt to record a hat trick with just over 23 minutes remaining in the game. Georgetown took the 13-5 advantage off a UConn foul with a bounce shot from Franklin.

Lapham scored the sixth UConn goal on the fast break to narrow the seven-goal Hoya lead with 18 minutes left; she scored again one minute later, forcing a Georgetown timeout.

Bozel racked up her third of the game after beating one UConn defender and firing a shot just under the pipe to make it a 14-7 Georgetown lead with 15 minutes left in the second.

The Huskies fought back with a goal off a failed clear by the Blue & Gray.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website