No. 16 Bucknell Staves off Rally to Nip Holy Cross by One

LEWISBURG, Pa. -- Peter Burke scored the tiebreaking goal with 22 seconds left and Kyle Feeney came up with a late save to make it hold up as the game-winner, as 16th-ranked Bucknell held off Holy Cross 10-9 on Saturday afternoon. It was the eighth straight victory for the Bison, who improved to 3-0 in the Patriot League and moved back into a tie for first place with Lehigh.

Billy Eisenreich (1G, 3A) and David Dickson (2G, 2A) both had four-point games for the Bison (8-3, 3-0), while Todd Heritage and Billy Mattimore also scored a pair of goals. Long-stick defensive midfielder John Scally scored his first goal of the season and also led the team with five ground balls.

A much-improved Holy Cross (4-6, 0-4) squad got three goals from Andrew Morici and four assists from James Kennedy. The Crusaders outshot Bucknell 35-23, but Feeney made 13 saves to help thwart the Holy Cross comeback attempt.

Bucknell never trailed in the game, but Holy Cross would not go away after the Bison opened up a four-goal lead in the second quarter. Eisenreich's unassisted goal at the midway point of the second quarter capped a 3-0 Bison run and put them up 6-2.

Holy Cross got two back to pull within 6-4 at the half, and then outscored Bucknell 2-0 in the third quarter to tie the game at 6-all. Matt Boylan's score off a Kennedy assist with 33 seconds left in the period was the equalizer.

Heritage and John Hannan traded goals 32 seconds apart to make it a 7-7 game, and the Bison seemed to be in good shape when Dickson and Mattimore scored back-to-back goals to take a 9-7 lead with 5:53 to play.

Clay Haarmann pulled the Crusaders within 9-8 with 4:59 left, and then with 2:06 to play Morici scored his third of the day to tie the game for the third time.

Bucknell won the ensuing faceoff but turned the ball over. Haarmann sent a shot wide and the Bison gained possession and cleared. After a timeout, Burke found the back of the net for his first goal of the day and 22nd of the year with 22 seconds left, but still the Crusaders were not done.

Kyle Kadlick scooped the ground ball off the faceoff and dashed in for a shot, but Feeney was up to the task with about 10 seconds remaining.

Bucknell entered the game ranked No. 1 in the nation in shooting percentage, and they hit on 10 of their 23 shots in this one. Kenny O'Connor made six saves for the Crusaders.

Holy Cross won 13 of the 22 faceoffs and led 33-24 in ground balls. Bucknell was 2 for 3 with an extra man, while Holy Cross was 1 for 1.

Bucknell now has a week off before hosting Army in a key Patriot League match-up next Saturday at noon. That game will air live on CBS Sports Network.

* * * *

WORCESTER, Mass. Down 9-7 with 5:53 left to play, The Crusaders scored two straight goals to tie the game. but Bucknell's Peter Burke netted the game winner with 22 seconds remaining, and Holy Cross fell to No. 16 Bucknell, 10-9, on Saturday afternoon in Patriot League action at Holy Cross Field. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 4-6 overall (0-4 PL), while the Bison improve to 8-3 overall (3-0 PL) and have won eight straight games.

Holy Cross was led by senior Andrew Morici (Manhasset, N.Y.) who recorded his first career hat-trick with three goals, and junior captain James Kennedy (Summit, N.J.) who recorded four assists and picked up five ground balls. Sophomore Kyle Kadlick (West Roxbury, Mass.) led the Crusaders with six ground balls.

The Bison were led by Todd Heritage who had two goals and an assist, Billy Eisenreich who recorded a goal and three assists, and David Dickson who had two goals and two assists.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website