Drexel Spoils Delaware's Return Home

NEWARK, Del. -- University of Delaware returned to Delaware Stadium for the first time in nearly a month Saturday night, but the Blue Hens could not sustain a sizzling start and dropped an 11-8 Colonial Athletic Association verdict to league-leading Drexel.

Delaware (3-7, 0-3 CAA), which suffered its fourth straight setback, stormed out to a quick 3-0 lead in the first eight minutes of action but followed that with a nearly 30-minute scoring drought as the Dragons took advantage and moved on to the victory.

Backed by the scoring of Robert Church and Brendan Glynn and the goalkeeping of senior Mark Manos, Drexel (5-5, 3-0 CAA) earned its third straight win and remained tied atop the CAA standings with No. 2 ranked Massachusetts and Towson.

Freshman Beau Jones led the Blue Hens with two goals and one assist while senior Carter Bloor scored twice, senior Grant Kaleikau dished out two assists, and senior Dan Cooney scored a goal and won 12 of 22 faceoffs. Andrew Tanneberger, John Austin, and Mark Yetter also tallied for the Hens.

Jones, a high school All-American at Germantown Academy (Pa.) who was expected to redshirt this season before earning a spot in the lineup last week, notched his second straight two-goal game after scoring twice in last weeks 13-8 setback to Towson.

The two-time defending CAA?champion Blue Hens outshot the Dragons 33-25 and forced 17 Dragon turnovers, but the hot goalkeeping of Manos (15 saves) was too much to overcome. Manos, a senior All-CAA netminder, played his high school lacrosse at Salesianum School in Wilmington, Del., just 15 minutes from the Delaware campus. He was selected as the? Milt Roberts Day Game Most Valuable Player for his efforts.

Church scored four goals, extending his point-scoring streak to 38 straight games, and Glynn added three goals and two assists as Drexel snapped a personal three-game losing streak to the Blue Hens, downing Delaware for the first time since a victory in 2009. The Hens, who have lost seven of their last eight games, have started 0-3 in league play for the first time since 2003.

Delaware came out hot, scoring three times in a span of 86 seconds to take a 3-0 lead. Yetter scored off a Kaleikau feed with 7:53 left in the opening stanza to open the scoring and Cooney followed with a goal just six seconds later as he won the faceoff and then sprinted downfield to pick up a rebound off a shot by Kaleikau and score past Manos. Jones made it 3-0 for Delaware only 1:20 later with a goal off a Kaleikau feed.

But the lead was short-lived as Drexel fought back to send the game into halftime tied at 3-3 as Glynn scored late in the first quarter and Ryan Belka and Church added second period scores.

Church gave Drexel its first lead of the night at 4-3 when he scored just 1:41 into the second half but Jones answered four minutes later with an unassisted goal to knot the game at 4-4. But Drexel followed with a three-goal spurt on tallies by Glynn, Kyle Bergman, and Andrew Vivian to take the lead for good at 7-4.

Delaware finally snapped a scoring drought of just over 28 minutes when Austin scored with 27 seconds left in the third quarter to narrow the deficit to 7-5, but Drexel pulled away as Church scored the first two goals of the fourth quarter and Glynn added a man-up goal as part of a 3-0 run to take a 10-5 lead.

The Hens made a spirited comeback as Bloor scored twice and Tanneberger added another tally in a span of three minutes to pull to within 10-8 with 26 seconds remaining, but Delaware could pull no closer.

Delaware will step out of conference play in its next outing as the Blue Hens travel to Ann Arbor, Mich. to take on first-year program University of Michigan next Saturday, Apr. 7, at Michigan Stadium.


Create a free lacrosse website