Williams Falls to No. 12 Tufts in NESCAC Action

WILLIAMSTOWN, MA––Williams (2-5) fell to NESCAC foe Tufts (8-2) 11-5 today at Renzie Lamb Field. Kevin McCormick (Laytonsville, MD) and Evan Dedominicis (Greenville, DE) led their respective team's offense, scoring three goals each.

Williams fell early, going down 3-0 in the first quarter. Goals for Tufts were scored by Cole Bailey (Millersville, MD), McCormick and Beau Wood (Sherwood Forest, MD). Wood scored on a man-up situation, with McCormick controlling the ball behind the goal line extended, before sending the ball across to the waiting Wood, shooting the ball over Sean Dougherty's (Smithtown, NY) shoulder.

The Ephs started to rally in the second, registering their first goal at 12:35. After Williams settled the ball, and worked it around the periphery, junior Dedominicis carried the ball around the crease, shooting high to score. Williams lost the ensuing face off, and Tufts carried the ball into the Ephs' defensive area.

Solid defense kept the Jumbos to the outside, but at 7:35 McCormick got the ball at the top of the key, sending a hard, ground-skimming shot on goal to make the score 4-1. McCormick's goal started a three-goal Tufts run that was stopped at 4:39 by a timely goal from Williams' Colin Foster (Niksayuna, NY). Tufts had the last word of the half, scoring their seventh goal with seven seconds remaining.

The Jumbo caught the Ephs on their heels in the beginning of the third quarter. After losing the opening face-off, Williams gave up two goals, including one from Nick Rhoads (McLean, VA), who would score again in the third quarter, and one from Bailey to make the score 9-3.

After Tufts' ninth goal, Foster drew two penalties, putting Tufts' two men down for a minute. The Ephs controlled the ball in Tufts' end for the first 30 seconds, but a good clear by the Jumbos sent the ball back into Williams' defensive area, for the remainder of the penalty. Williams finished the half down 11-3.

Williams rallied in the fourth quarter, starting from the opening face-off. The Eph offense generated a lot of opportunities, but they were only able to capitalize on two. Andy Grabowski (Philadelphia, PA), assisted by Steven Kiesel (Excelsior, NM) scored with 8:55 left to play.

Colton Growney (Berwyn, PA) picked up a ground ball high in the offensive end, sending the ball across the field to Kiesel. Kiesel moved the ball to a waiting Grabowski, who scored to make the score 11-4. Four minutes later Growney found Dedominicis who scored his third, and the Ephs' final, goal of the game.

Tufts outshot Williams 45-33, but the Ephs picked up 40 ground balls to the Jumbos 33. Doughtery played all 60 minutes for the Ephs, recording 14 saves. Patton Watkins (Chattanooga, TN) played the first 55:30 in net for the Jumbos before being replaced by Tyler Page (San Francisco, CA). Watkins recorded 8 saves, and Page recorded 2.

Williams travels to Union College on April 11th. Play begins at 7:00 pm.


Create a free lacrosse website