Ohio State Escapes Hobart with Overtime Victory

GENEVA, N.Y. - Hobart rallied from a four-goal second half deficit to force overtime against Ohio State, but Dominique Alexander scored with 26 seconds remaining in overtime to lift the Buckeyes to a 10-9 victory at Boswell Field this afternoon.

The Statesmen faced an 8-4 deficit following Alexander's second goal of the game with 6:26 remaining in the third quarter. Hobart was also tagged with a 1-minute slashing penalty on the play, but the home team turned the negative into a positive. Senior Bobby Dattilo won the ensuing faceoff and first-year Taylor Vanderbeek scored man-down with 10 seconds left in the penalty.

Hobart still trailed 8-5 entering the fourth quarter, but sophomore Alex Love scored an extra-man goal off an assist from senior Chris Pedersen with 9:40 left in regulation. Forty-seven seconds later, senior Sam Miller set up Cam Stone's goal to close the gap to just a single goal. Pedersen, assisted by Stone, completed the comeback, knotting the score at 8 with 6:00 minutes to go.

Ohio State reclaimed the lead at the 4:27 mark when Nick Liddil buried a feed from David Planning for an extra-man goal. The advantage was short-lived as Dattilo won the ensuing faceoff and raced straight to goal, scoring his first goal of the season for the sixth and final tie of the game. He finished the day 16 of 22 at the X and scooped up a team-high four ground balls.

Both teams got off a shot on goal before the end of regulation, but Greg Dutton made the stop for Ohio State to finish off his 11-save performance and sophomore Peter Zonino logged one of his career-high 18 stops to force OT.

Dattilo gained possession for Hobart on the overtime faceoff and the Statesmen called timeout to set up its offense. Out of the break, Hobart worked the ball around the cage looking for a weakness in the OSU defense, but the Buckeyes were airtight. As the Statesmen looked for an opening, the officials issued a stall warning which proved crucial to the final score.

With about 90 seconds remaining, Hobart worked the ball to the top of the box where an attackman took a couple of steps back to gain some separation from his defender before making a run at the goal. Unfortunately, he took one too many steps and went out of the box, giving Ohio State the ball.

Zonino turned back the Buckeyes first attempt at a game-winning by Logan Schuss. The Buckeyes got a second chance when Schuss came out of a scrum with the loose ball leading to Alexander's game-winning charge. He drove from the top of the box off the left side of the goal and fired a 7-yard shot past Zonino's left knee.

The teams traded goals traded goals throughout the first half, with OSU taking a 5-4 lead into halftime. Schuss opened the second half scoring for the first two goal advantage for either side followed by back-to-back strikes by Alexander, setting the stage for Hobart's rally.

Alexander finished the day with a team-high four points on three goals and an assist. Schuss added two goals and an assist, while Jesse King and Mike Smail contributed two points apiece. Joe Bonnani grabbed a game-high five ground balls for the Buckeyes (5-6, 3-1 ECAC).

Pedersen and Stone produced four-point games for Hobart (2-7, 0-3). Stone had two goals and two assists. With a goal and three assists, Pedersen raised his career totals to 55 goals and 52 assists, making him just the third Division I Statesmen to log 50 goals and 50 assists. The other two are Daryl Veltman '08 and Nate Hill '05.

Hobart will be back in action on Saturday, April 14, when they visit Bellarmine. The opening faceoff is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. Ohio State's next game is also next Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at Michigan.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website