No. 3 Merrimack Upended at Southern New Hampshire

MANCHESTER, NH No. 3 Merrimack was downed Tuesday afternoon on the road at Southern New Hampshire by the score of 7-6.

"We did not play well enough to win today," said head coach Mike Morgan. "We lost some focus in the beginning of the final period and we never recovered."

Leading the Warriors offensively was DJ Brown (Huntington, NY) who recorded two goals on the afternoon. Mike Perdie (Wading River, NY) finished off the day with a goal and a assist for the Warriors and Jamie Shand (Massapequa, NY) racked up two assists, giving him a team-high 15 for the season.

The Penmen opened up the first period with three quick markers to give them the 3-0 lead with 5:34 showing on the clock. The Warriors would rattle off 14 shots in the opening period but they were unable to find the back of the net in the first period for the first time all season.

Southern New Hampshire would find the back of the net to extend their lead to four with 13:12 remaining in the opening half. The Warriors would respond quickly with a goal from Brown after a Paul Jones (Guilderland, NY) assist. Brown was left alone to the left of the goalie and found the top corner to make the score 4-1.

Freshman Kyle Guilbert (Walpole, Mass.) would make the score 4-2 just over two minutes later as he received a pass from fellow freshman Shand. The Warriors would cap off their own 4-0 run to level the score, 4-4, with 5:49 remaining in the first half after goals by Perdie and Greg Fallon (North Kingstown, RI).

The Warriors had two chances at the end of the half to break the 4-4 tie but both shots whistled wide of the net. The Warriors held the 23-12 advantage in shots through the first 30 minutes of play and were 6-9 on clearing attempts. Nick Maggio (Winchester, Mass.) dominated the faceoff's in the opening half winning nine of 10.

The Warriors and the Penmen would play to a scoreless third period despite Merrimack holding a 13-1 advantage in shots for the period. The Warriors were a perfect 7-7 in clear attempts during the third period and caused eight Southern New Hampshire turnovers.

After the scoreless third the Penmen would get on the board first in the final period as Jeremy Buckley would find the back of the net beating Morgan Green (Portsmouth, RI) just under the crossbar. On the very next possession the Penmen would extend their lead to 6-4 as Rob Murray picked up the goal.

Murray would put the home team up 7-4 with 9:51 remaining in the game after he found himself free for a shot that beat Green.

The Warriors would respond with a goal by leading goal scorer Corey Lunney (Little Silver, NJ) less than a minute later cutting the Merrimack deficit to two.

The Warriors would make a late push but fell just short as Brown found the back of the net with 12 seconds to play to make the score 7-6 in favor of the Penmen.

Defensively Peter Schielke (Ridgefield, CT) led the way scooping up four groundballs and forcing two turnovers. Steve Frey (Madison, CT) caused a team-high four turnovers and scooped up four groundballs. Green finished the game for the Warriors with six saves in the defeat.

The Warriors outshot Southern New Hampshire 48-19 and won 15 of 17 faceoff's. The Warriors were 0-2 on the man up opportunities and were successful on 16 of 20 clearing attempts.

Merrimack (7-2, 3-2 NE-10) will return home for their senior day on Saturday April 14 at 1:00 pm against American International.


Create a free lacrosse website