Gwynedd-Mercy Uses Strong 2nd Half to Tame Cyclones

GWYNEDD VALLEY, Pa. (April 11, 2012) - The Cyclones took a 6-5 lead in to the half, but Gwynedd-Mercy used a strong second half to hand Centenary its second Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) loss.

The Cyclones scored the first goal shortly after getting off the bus when Danielle Bay found Nicole Judd with a pass just 37 seconds into the game to put Centenary on top of the 2011 CSAC champions 1-0.

The lead stood for nearly seven minutes when the Griffins tied the game on a Brigid Dowling goal. Gwynedd-Mercy took the lead a little over a minute later and held that lead as the game went into a ten minute scoring drought.

Centenary's Meredith Bruce found the net off a pass from Alysia Pinkerton at the 12:43 mark of the first half to even the score at two. The Cyclones used the momentum of Bruce's goal to score again quickly when Bay fired a shot past Griffins' goalie Marina Hubbard on a free position shot, putting Centenary ahead 3-2.

The Griffins responded with a game tying goal a minute after Bay put the Cyclones in the lead. The game once again entered a scoring lull until there was just under six minutes remaining in the half. The game then went into overdrive as five goals were scored in the final 5:49 of the half.

Gwynedd-Mercy retook the lead at 5:49 on a Shannon Harmer goal, then went up by two goals 25 seconds later to make the score 5-3.

It was then Centenary's turn to put together a scoring run. Rebecca Balfour scored the first of three consecutive Cyclones' goals. Judd then netted her second goal of the game with 1:23 remaining before the half to tie the game at five. Then, with :37 seconds to go in the half, Bay again put the Cyclones on top with an unassisted goal, giving Centenary a 6-5 halftime lead.

The Griffins stormed out of the gate in the second half, scoring the first four goals to take a 12-7 lead. The Cyclones got one of the goals back on another Danielle Bay free position shot goal to close to within 12-8. Gwynedd-Mercy and Centenary traded the next two goals, with Judd adding her third goal of the game at the 17:01 mark to bring the score to 13-9, but the Griffins would net the next two goals to push the score to 15-9 with 8:21 to go.

Bay would add two more goals for the Cyclones, but in the end it was not enough as the 12 goal second half by Gwynedd-Mercy was too much for Centenary to overcome as the Griffins walked away with a 17-11 win.

With the loss, Centenary drops to 8-3 overall and 4-2 in CSAC play. The Cyclones will next host Immaculata University on Saturday, April 14th at 2:30 pm with the seniors of the 2012 team being honored in a ceremony before the game.


Create a free lacrosse website