Temple Falls in Overtime at George Washington

WASHINGTON, D.C. - After scoring 13 goals in regulation, the offense went cold in overtime, and Temple dropped a 14-13 decision on the road at George Washington. The Owls (8-6, 2-2) and the Colonials (8-5, 2-2) were tied a total of eight times in the back-and-forth contest.

Karly Cohen and Stephanie Markunas led Temple with four goals apiece and one assist each. The Owls out-shot GW 36-23 overall, but Jess Hicks made 14 saves for the Colonials.

GW jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first eight minutes before Temple got on the board, but it wasn't long before the Owls tied it up and then took a lead.

Cohen got the run started with 20 minutes left in the first half after scoring on a free position shot, and less than two minutes later Markunas got Temple within one. Cohen struck again at the midway point of the half on an assist from Parcell to even the game at 3-3.

The second goal from Markunas, scored on a free position attempt, gave the Owls their first lead at 4-3 with 7:19 left in the first half. The game's second tie followed after GW's Sarah Phillips evened the score with 3:36 remaining.

Missy Schweitzer recovered a turnover by the Colonials near the two-minute mark, and scored soon after on an assist by Cohen for a 5-4 Temple lead. Once again the lead was short-lived, with GW answering quickly. Their fifth goal, which tied the game for a third time, was scored with 46 seconds left in the half and the 5-5 score would stand through halftime.

Temple struck early in the second half as Markunas got her third goal on a free position attempt, but GW quickly tied the game yet again. It became a game of mini-runs through the second half as Cohen and Parcell scored for an 8-6 lead before GW's Megan Seidman scored twice for an 8-8 tie. Markunas and Mercer tallied goals to make it 10-8, but then Seidman and two teammates combined for a 3-0 run to put Temple behind for the first time since early in the game.

After Cohen's fourth goal on a Markunas assist tied the game at 11-11, GW regained momentum and took a 13-11 lead with 8:17 remaining. The Owls were able to force overtime with goals by Stephany Parcell and Schweitzer, who scored once again after a turnover with 4:41 remaining. The tie score of 13-13 would stand, as the Colonials had the final possession in regulation but did not get down the field in time to make a clean shot attempt before the clock ran out.

Nicole Lacey was the lone scorer in the six-minute overtime period, putting one past Temple goalkeeper Tess Bishop in the third minute. The Owls had two shots on goal the rest of the way, but both were saved by Hicks.

Temple will stay on the road this weekend, traveling to Richmond for a 1:00 p.m. game on Sunday.


Create a free lacrosse website