Ephs Lose to Continentals in Three Overtimes

WILLIAMSTOWN, MA–– Williams (3-8, 1-7 NESCAC) lost to NESCAC rival Hamilton (7-5, 4-5) 9-8 today at Renzie Chapman Field. The exciting game took three overtimes to play. Hamilton senior Jon Leanos (Long Valley, NJ) scored the gaming-winning goal with just 32.3 seconds to play in the third overtime.

Scoring for both teams was spread out. Evan Dedominicis (Greenville, DE) and Andy Grabowski (Philadelphia, PA) each scored two goals, while Colton Growney (Berwyn, PA), Peter Sullivan (Darien, CT), Tucker Dayton (San Franciso, CA) and Tim Goggins (Pittsfield, MA) shared the remaing four. Leanos, Bryan Hopper (Ridgewood, NJ), Luke Walsh (Loudonville, NY) each score two, and Henry Burchenal (Summit, NJ), Pax Anthos (Wellesley, MA), and Luke Sadoff (Massapequa, NY) combined for the final three.

The teams traded momentum and goals for much of the half Hamilton's Leanos scored the first goal of the game, but Williams returned fire a minute later. Dedominicis' goal, assisted by senior Sam Hargrove (Wallingford, PA), was followed shortly by another from Sullivan at 5:25.

Hopper scored a mere 23 seconds later, sending a high, outside shot on Sean Dougherty (Smithtown, NY). The ball bounced just under Dougherty's stick to tied the game 2-2. Each team would score once more to knot the game 3-3 at the close of the quarter.

Hamilton started the second a man up, and quickly capitalized on the opportunity. The Continentals worked the ball back-and-forth around the periphery, before Connor Morgan (Reisterstown, MD) hit a streaking Burchenal for the go-ahead goal. Dayton and Growney combined to score two goals to reclaim the lead for the Ephs.

Growney picked up the ball on his side of the midfield line, carrying the ball in, beating his defender to gain the inside. A huge, wind-up shot led to the Ephs' fifth goal of the game. Hamilton's Walsh scored his second, and final goal of the game with 6:05 left in the quarter, sending teams into halftime with another tie score.

The third quarter was characterized by more back-and-forth play. Williams won the opening face-off and carried it into their offensive end, where they sustained pressure for the first five minutes of the quarter. Hamilton's Mike Fiacco (Fayetteville, NY) stole the ball and ran it out of his defensive end to return control to the Continentals.

Solid Eph defense led to a turn-over and a goal from Grabowski with just 6:23 left to play. Hamilton sophomore Anthos, assisted by Morgan, capitalized on another man-up situation to tie the game at six apiece just three mintues later. Chad Berger (Princeton, NJ) ran the ball out of Hamilton's defensive end, passing it to Leanos who hit Sadoff. Sadoff ripped a shot to score with .1 seconds left in the quarter.

Senior captain Goggins, assisted by Mericos Rhodes (Seattle, WA) to tie the game 7-7. An interference penalty by Baylis Treen (Darien, CT) gave Williams an opportunity to take the lead, and a goal from Grabowski with 10:22 left in the quarter did just that. The teams traded control and opportunities for the next five minutes, but at 5:02 Hopper received the ball and sent a high-flying shot bar-down to tie the game.

The teams competed for three overtimes before Hamilton was able to step away with the win. Leanos took the ball from behind the net, came out around the crease and ran past his pick, shooting across his body to score the game-winner.

Dougherty and Hamilton's Max Vaickus (Hingham, MA) each played all 72 minutes today. Vaickus saw 18 shots and recorded 10 saves. Dougherty faced 22 shots, making 13 saves. Hamilton out-shot Williams 43-27, but picked up 36 groundballs to Hamilton's 26. Eph freshman David Lee (Hillsborough, CA) won 12 of his 21 face-offs, while Continentals Hopper and Paul Cittarella (Mahwah, NJ) combined to go 9-21.

Williams heads to perennial rival Amherst on Saturday, while Hamilton hosts NESCAC heavyweight Trinity. Both games begin at 1:00 pm.


Create a free lacrosse website