Second-Ranked Cortland Picks Up Narrow Win Over Clarkson

POTSDAM, N.Y. Sophomore Joe Slavik (Binghamton/Seton Catholic) led all scorers with four goals as second-ranked Cortland earned a narrow 8-6 victory at Clarkson Saturday afternoon in non-conference action. The Red Dragons remained unbeaten on the season, pushing their record to 14-0, while the Golden Knights dropped to 8-5.

Senior Mike Tota (Webster/Webster Schroeder) was the only other Cortland player with multiple points, scoring two goals. Sophomore defenseman Brian Winterfeldt (Merrick/Calhoun) and freshman Nick Wolak (Rochester/Brighton) each netted a goal, while senior Zack Mulvaney (Deferiet/Carthage), sophomore Cody Consul (Webster/Webster Schroeder) and freshman Matt Rakoczy (Clifton Park/Albany Academy) recorded one assist apiece.

Junior Nick Jarvis (Syracuse/Onondaga Central) won 11-of-13 faceoffs and freshman Joey Palo (Horsham, PA/Hatboro-Horsham) was successful on all four of his faceoff attempts as the Red Dragons won 15-of-17 in the game. Junior goalie Mike Kaminski (Sayville) turned aside 14 shots and registered a game-high six ground balls. Winterfeldt collected five ground balls, and sophomore Doug Meehan (Sayville) and freshman Evan Schlicht (Smithtown/Smithtown West) each had four.

Corey Herrington paced Clarkson with three goals. Kyle Kasprzyk contributed one goal and one assist, Tim Krauss and Mark Nortz each tallied one goal and Matt McCabe and Peter Goss each chipped in with an assist. Ryan Cole made nine saves in goal.

After Slavik opened the scoring at 13 minutes, 45 seconds of the first quarter, the Golden Knights built a 3-1 lead early in the second quarter. Kasprzyk tied the game at 5:40 of the first, and Nortz and Krauss scored 32 seconds apart to open the second quarter. Cortland answered with the final three goals of the quarter for a 4-3 lead at the half as Winterfeldt netted his sixth of the season and Tota notched back-to-back goals just over a minute apart.

The Red Dragons appeared to take control of the game with the first three goals of the third quarter for a 7-3 advantage. Slavik scored at 13:12 and 11:34, and Wolak found the back of the net just 29 seconds after Slavik's second score. Clarkson trimmed the lead to 7-5 as Herrington scored a man-up goal at 6:42 and connected again at 5:17.

Herrington's third goal of the game at the 11:28 mark of the fourth quarter pulled Clarkson to within 7-6. Slavik, however, netted an important insurance goal at 3:43 to make it 8-6, and the Golden Knights also took a one-minute penalty on the score to go a man down to hurt their chances for a late-game comeback.


Create a free lacrosse website