Louisville Falls to Connecticut on Senior Day

LOUISVILLE, Ky. University of Louisville held the lead at halftime, but was unable to stop Connecticut's second-half rally, as the Cardinals fell in their regular-season finale to the Huskies, 10-9, on Sunday afternoon at the U of L Lacrosse Stadium.

Louisville (3-12, 1-7 Big East) opened the game with three-straight goals for the first time at home and the second time this season. Eleni Kozas, who was honored before the game on "Senior Day," scored the game's first goal with a tally at the 28:59 mark. Freshman Faye Brust added a goal just two minutes later, and Nikki Boltja capped the run with an unassisted score at the 23:42 mark to give Louisville a 3-0 advantage.

Connecticut's M.E. Lapham answered with the Huskies' first goal at the 15:43 mark on a free-position shot.

The Louisville defense kept the Huskies (9-5, 2-4) at bay for the next five minutes and, during that time, Jamie Redding netted her lone goal of the game on a pass from Colleen O'Malley to put Louisville ahead again by three.

The back-and-forth scoring continued, as Connecticut's Emily Anderson brought the Huskies within two on a free-position goal at the 10:34 mark. Boltja found the back of the net for a second time. Connecticut, though, came within one after consecutive scores from Mackenzie Rainone in a one-minute span. Brust and Cat Gordon scored inside the seven-minute mark to keep the Cardinals' lead at three, 7-4, heading into halftime.

Connecticut jumpstarted the second half with back-to-back goals, cutting the deficit back to one, and although O'Malley scored what seemed to be a crucial goal at the 20:42 mark, the Huskies netted four unanswered goals, including the go-ahead goal by Lapham at the 15:27 mark.

Boltja was able to record her third goal of the game at the 11:25 mark, giving the sophomore her 10th hat trick of the year.

Louisville won the draw control following the goal, but after Connecticut's Lauren Kahn forced a turnover by O'Malley, the Huskies held the ball, with the intent of running down the clock.

Under the one-minute mark, Boltja had two opportunities to tie the game at 10 apiece with back-to-back free-position shots, with the first opportunity coming by way of a Casey Pepperman caused turnover. Boltja, however, was stopped both times by Connecticut's Brittney Testa, who finished the game 11 saves in 30 minutes of action.

Defensively, Pepperman had game highs of four ground balls and three caused turnovers. Gordon, who finished the game with seven draw controls, helped give Louisville the edge in the category, 11-10. The Cardinals also won the ground ball battle, 18-17.


Create a free lacrosse website