Belmont Abbey Drops Double OT Decision to Lindenwood

Belmont Abbey fell in double overtime to the visiting Lindenwood Lions 10-9 this afternoon at Alumni Field. Lindenwood moves to 8-6, while the Abbey falls to 5-10.

Belmont Abbey opened the game on fire, building a 7-2 lead with 5:34 left to go in the first half. The Lions responded with the final goal of the second quarter to close their deficit to 7-3 at the half.

The second half was a complete role reversal, as Lindenwood scored the first seven goals of the second half, including three in the third quarter to close within one at 7-6 heading into the fourth quarter.

Lindenwood seized control of the game in the fourth quarter, netting three unanswered tallies to open up a 9-7 advantage. With 2:48 to go and trailing by two, Joey McGinley buried an unassisted tally to cut the gap to 9-8.

After a failed Lindenwood clear and an ensuing Abbey timeout, Dan Morrissey scored the last of his three goals, this one with just three seconds left, to knot the game at nine and send the game into overtime.

Neither team scored in the first four minute extra period, and Lindenwood wasted no time scoring the winning goal. On the opening faceoff of the fourth quarter, Grame Hossack stalked down the loose ball around midfield, weaved through the Crusader defense and bounced in a shot over Brett Lawless to give the Lions the sudden victory.

Tanner Scharr led the Abbey with four goals, three coming in the first quarter, on nine shots. Morrissey totaled three on six shots, while McGinley scored twice on four shots. Scotty Steele handed out three assists, while Ryan Corrigan and Brendan Rogers finished with two.

Defensively the Crusaders caused 17 turnovers as Brendan Shoults and Connor Doyle both led the way with four. Doyle added four ground balls. Josiah Nash was credited with a pair of caused turnovers and led the Abbey with six ground balls. Lawless made 10 saves in the cage.

Greg Cameron led Lindenwood with three goals, while McNein Hewitt and Andrew Szczepan both found the back of the net twice. Hossack, Carter McCracken and Brandon Lenz each had one.

Belmont Abbey outshot the Lions 38-26, while Lindenwood won the ground ball battle by the same total. The Lions also won more faceoffs, by a 15-7 count.


Create a free lacrosse website