Perednia Advances Gordon Past UNE with OT Marker

BIDDEFORD, Maine -- Senior Dan Perednia (Granby, Conn.) scored 1:08 into overtime to give fifth-seeded Gordon a 9-8 overtime win over No. 4 University of New England in first round action of the Commonwealth Coast Conference championship played Saturday afternoon (Apr. 28) at the Big Blue Turf.

The win propels the Fighting Scots (8-7) into Wednesday's semifinal at top-seeded Western New England University. Big Blue wraps up its most successful season ever with a record of 9-9.

UNE got the first shot off in the extra session, but Gordon junior goalie Houston Zemanski (Annapolis, Md.) came up with a clutch save on the Nor'easters' break. Gordon established possession in the offensive zone and set-up Perednia, who curled from the top of the box down the right side and bounced the game-winner into the lower left corner.

The result is just the opposite of when the two teams met back on April 11, as UNE pulled out the 9-8 victory in double overtime that night.

Perednia scored four of his five goals on the day after halftime, including last two of 3-0 3rd quarter run that left the Fighting Scots ahead, 7-6.

Big Blue answered right back on the man-advantage, when junior Tyler Thomas (Mount Pleasant, N.Y.) found first-year Eddie Burke (Windsor, Conn.) for a goal from just off the left post.

After Perednia made it 8-7 midway through the 4th period, UNE senior Mike Pennacchio (Peabody, Mass.) leveled the contest with 4:25 remaining in regulation. Classmate Dylan Thomas (Mount Pleasant, N.Y.) registered an assist on the play.

Both sides had multiple scoring chances the final minutes, but both Zemanski and his counterpart, UNE senior Nate Porter (Cohasset, Mass.), were up to the task to keep things even.

Senior Adam Quinn (Gloucester, Mass.) added a pair of goals for the visitors, and classmate Wes Chittick (Glenside, Pa.) chipped in with a goal, two assists, and five ground balls. Zemanski finished with 10 saves.

The Nor'easters got two scores from Pennacchio and first-year Geoff Bruno (Durham, Conn.), and while Bruno added an assist for three points on the afternoon, Tyler Thomas ended with the same amount (1 goal, 2 assists). In addition to scoring once, senior Matt Anderson (St. Paul, Minn.) had four caused turnovers and five ground balls.

Sophomore Dan O'Gorman (Putnam Valley, N.Y.) won 12 of 18 face-offs for UNE, and Porter secured 10 stops between the pipes.

Big Blue trailed 3-2 midway through the 2nd before tallying the last three before intermission. Bruno from T. Thomas on the advantage made the cushion two (5-3) with 12 ticks left in the 2nd frame, and, after Chittick opened the 3rd with a score, Bruno soon returned the favor with a feed to T. Thomas that gave UNE a 6-4 edge.


Create a free lacrosse website