No. 13 Cornell Upended by No. 15 Yale in the Ivy Semifinals

PRINCETON, N.J. -- Deron Dempster had an Ivy League tournament record eight goals and Matt Gibson matched him step for step with eight assists, as Yale knocked off Cornell 14-10 on Friday evening at Class of '52 Field at Princeton . Cornell dropped to 9-4, while the Bulldogs advanced to Sunday's final by moving to 10-4 overall.

Yale snapped a 14-game losing skid to Cornell, giving the Bulldogs its first win against its Ivy rival this century. The Bulldogs had last defeated the Big Red during the 1999 season, a 7-6 victory in New Haven, Conn. In the process made sure the Big Red would not appear in the championship game of the Ivy League tournament for the first time in its three iterations.

Junior Steve Mock and senior Chris Langton each scored twice, while Roy Lang had a goal and two assists and Mike O'Neil notched a goal and an assist on the offensive end. Andrew West made eight saves off the bench in the second half and the tandem of Matt Restaino (7 of 12) and Doug Tesoriero (6 of 11) combined to win 13 of 23 face-offs against one of the Ivy League's best face-off units.

Dempster's eight goals came on nine shots and almost all came right on the doorstep. Gibson's eight assists, five directly going to Dempster, came despite not taking one shot all evening. Brandon Mangan had three goals and an assist, while Peter Johnson caused three turnovers on the other end. Dylan Levings was even on his 26 face-off attempts and won eight ground balls.

Cornell held a 35-30 edge in shots and were even (32-32) in ground balls and 16 of 17 clearing the ball, but Yale's early lead, thanks in large part to a quick start by Bulldog goalkeeper Jack Meyer, put the lower seeded Bulldogs in the lead for good. Meyer had 13 total saves, including nine in the decisive first half.

The Bulldogs jumped out to a 5-0 lead before the Big Red eventually got back within 6-4 in the second to make it a game. Yale led 3-0 just 8:11 in as Dempster scored two times and three different Yale players tallied assists. The Big Red called a timeout, but that did little to slow down Yale, who added two straight scores, including Dempster's third of the contest, to make it 5-0.

Mock finally got the Big Red on the board when Donovan rolled around the crease and hit the junior attackman, who went around the other end and beat Meyer with a hard bouncer with 2:48 left. Chris Langton got another goal back for Cornell with a strong drive from the top of the box that ended with a soft bouncer to make it 5-2 by the end of the first quarter.

After Dempster made it 6-2, Langton and Lang scored three minutes apart to take the momentum back.. With Donovan off the field, Yale scored three times in the final 2:25 of the half to go into the break leading 9-4.

From there, Yale only extended the lead. The Bulldogs shut out Cornell in the third, posting a shutout streak of 28:09 and building the lead to 13-4 before Mike O'Neil finally broke the seal on the net with 11:04 left in the fourth. That sparked a 6-1 Big Red run to end the game, but it was too little, too late.

Cornell will await to see what happens with the NCAA tournament selection on Sunday, May 6 to see if the 2012 season will continue.


Create a free lacrosse website