Rubeor Nets Six as Bayhawks Defeat Cannons in Semifinals

BOSTON, MA - Attackman Ben Rubeor fired in a season-high six goals and goalkeeper Kip Turner anchored a dominating defensive effort with 14 saves as the second-seeded Chesapeake Bayhawks beat the Boston Cannons, 16-10, in the MLL semifinals before a crowd of 8,090 at Harvard Stadium.

Rubeor netted five of his goals in the second half as the Bayhawks broke open a back-and-forth affair by outscoring the host team 7-2. Turner got hot and made 10 of his saves after intermission for Chesapeake, which completely shut down a potent Boston offense.

“Today was a total team effort. We had a game plan that we thought would slow them down and we executed it really well,” All-MLL defenseman Michael Evans said. “The coaching staff emphasized winning our individual match-ups and I thought we were able to do that. Kip Turner is the backbone of our defense and he was awesome today.”

Evans shut out All-MLL attackman Ryan Boyle, who had two goals and six assists to lead Boston to a 16-13 victory over Chesapeake on July 28th. Long stick midfielder Michael Simon limited Paul Rabil, the Offensive Player of the Year, to just two assists.

“Last time against Boston, we didn't win any of the individual match-ups. This time, Michael Evans won the Ryan Boyle match-up, Michael Simon fought off Paul Rabil, Jeff Reynolds won some match-ups with Kevin Buchanan,” Chesapeake head coach Dave Cottle said. “We didn't have to slide as much as we did in the last game and I thought that was the difference.”

All-MLL midfielder Kyle Dixon scored three goals, two of which were 2-pointers, and also had an assist in totaling six points for Chesapeake (11-4), which will take on top-seeded Denver (12-3) in Sunday afternoon's (3:00 p.m.) championship game. Attackman John Grant Jr. totaled two goals and two assists for the Bayhawks, who will be seeking the fourth title in franchise history.

Denver advanced by beating Long Island, 13-12, closing the game on a 10-0 run after falling behind 12-3. “Denver was the best team in the regular season and they had a quality comeback today against Long Island,” Cottle said. “Now we have to come up with a game plan to slow (the Outlaws) down. We've got a lot of guys on this team who have won championships and they know how to prepare for a big game.”

Midfielder Mike Stone totaled two goals and two assists as third-seeded Boston raced out to a 5-1 lead. Attackman Kevin Buchanan had a goal and an assist during the early run. “I thought the play early was even, but they made their shots and we missed ours,” Cottle said.

Turner did not make a single save in the first quarter, but found his footing and stopped four shots in the second quarter. The sixth-year professional was downright spectacular in the second half, frustrating the Cannons by stabbing point-blank or one-on-one shots. Cottle was thankful afterward that he didn't pull the trigger on inserting backup T.C. DiBartolo.

“Honestly, after the first quarter I said to myself if Kip doesn't make a save I'm going to go to T.C. Then he made a big save to start the second quarter and a big save to end the second quarter and I think that settled him down,” Cottle said. “This was a tough game for Kip coming back and playing against his old team. Then he got off to a bad start, but it shows the character he has.” Dixon began the Chesapeake comeback with 2:33 left in the first quarter when he rebounded his own saved shot by batting the ball back into the net. Dixon then cranked in two consecutive 2-point goals just 48 seconds apart to cap a strong second quarter for the Bayhawks. Grant had a goal and an assist as Chesapeake outscored Boston 7-3 during the period. Dixon's personal four-point swing gave the visitors a 9-8 halftime lead.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website