Schuss Nets 7 as No. 19 Ohio State Opens with Win over Detroit

COLUMBUS, Ohio Behind seven goals and 10 points from senior co-captain Logan Schuss, No. 19 Ohio State opened its season with a 14-8 victory over Detroit inside Woody Hayes Athletic Center Saturday afternoon. The teams were tied at 6 at halftime, but Ohio State outscored the Titans 8-2 in the second half, including 5-1 in the third quarter, for the non-conference victory.

"I'm concerned with the start," Nick Myers, Ohio State head coach, said. "We know we need to play 60 minutes to be where we want to be. There were positives in both halves though. We hunkered down and only allowed two goals in the second half, which is a positive."

Freshman Carter Brown had six points, with two goals and a team-best four assists, while sophomore Jesse King had a hat trick and freshman Tyler Pfister scored two goals. Junior goalie Greg Dutton made nine saves for the squad. Senior Trey Wilkes was 14-8 on faceoffs and had six groundballs, while senior Kevin Mack had seven groundballs and junior Darius Bowling picked up six loose balls while causing three turnovers.

"Coach came into the lockerroom at halftime and told us to settle down and just play our Buckeye game," Schuss said. "We came out in the second half and the offense started clicking and the defense started shutting them down and we got on a roll."

The Buckeyes trailed 3-2 after the first quarter. After Schuss opened the scoring 1:06 into the game, the Titans scored three in a row to take a 3-1 lead at 7:14 of the opening stanza. Detroit tied the game at 9:14 and then scored twice in 35 seconds (7:49 and 7:14) for a two-goal lead. Schuss tallied, assisted by co-captain and senior Dominique Alexander, to draw Ohio State within one at 3:42. Shots were 9-6 in favor of the Buckeyes in the quarter.

Schuss scored a man-up goal at 11:41 of the second, assisted by junior Adam Trombley, to tie the score at 3. The teams traded goals at 9:34 and 8:55, with Pfister scoring unassisted for the Buckeyes, to remain deadlocked (4-4). After Detroit's Mike Birney tallied man-up at 7:30, Ohio State scored the next two goals for its first lead since early in the game (6-5). Sophomore David Planning set up Brown for a goal at 5:38 to tie the game at 5 and Schuss found Pfister for a man-up goal at 3:12 for a 6-5 Ohio State advantage. With 1:15 remaining in the half the Titans again tied the game when Alex Maini scored on an extra-man chance. Ohio state had nine shots in the quarter, holding the Titans to five.

Ohio State outscored the Titans, 5-1, in the third quarter to take control of the game. Schuss found King for a goal at 12:17 to push Ohio State ahead, 7-6 and Brown set up Schuss at 8:54 for the Buckeyes' first two-goal lead of the game. Detroit's Brandon Beauregard drew the Titans within one with a tally at 7:04 but the Buckeyes scored three times in the final 3:37 of the quarter for an 11-7 lead. Brown scored off an assist from Schuss at 3:37, followed by a man-up goal from King at 2:15.

Schuss scored the next three goals, all assisted by Brown, finding the back of the net at 1:55 of the third and 13:24 and 12:10 of the fourth. Detroit stopped the Buckeyes' five-goal run on a tally from Maini at 11:58 and King ended the scoring with an unassisted tally with 58 seconds remaining. Ohio State outshot Detroit, 29-9, in the second half (18-4 in the third quarter, 11-5 in the fourth).

Ohio State outshot Detroit, 47-20, in the game. Dutton played all 60 minutes and had nine saves, with four groundballs. The Titans' A.J. Levell had 17 saves in all 60 minutes.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website