Washington & Lee Knocks off No. 1 Salisbury in Double OT

SALISBURY, Md. No. 1 Salisbury fell to Washington & Lee, 7-6, in double overtime at Sea Gull Stadium on Wednesday afternoon.

Senior midfielder Ryan Clarke opened the scoring with an unassisted goal, the only goal scored in the first quarter. Clarke, who led the Gulls with three goals and four points, took the ball, juked a defender and drove to the right side of the goal, before beating the Generals' goalkeeper for the score.

After the 1-0 first quarter, W&L's Garrett Paglia, who scored a game-high four goals, tied the game at the 9:10 mark in the second quarter and, eventually, gave the Generals the lead with his second score with 22 seconds left in the half.

Clarke answered with his second goal, running behind the cage, from left to right and scoring on a diving, wrap-around shot from behind the goal with seven seconds left on the clock, sending the teams into halftime tied, 2-2.

At the break, Washington and Lee led in shots, 10-7, but the Sea Gulls won 4 of 6 faceoffs and were successful on 7 of 8 clears.

In the third quarter, the Gulls were outscored 4-1, which allowed the Generals to take a 6-3 lead into the fourth quarter. Paglia scored his final two goals in the period.

After allowing three-consecutive goals, senior attackman Evan Hammersly broke the General run by taking a pass from Clarke ripping a shot from the right wing to cut the lead to 5-3, before W&L would score again.

The Sea Gulls shifted the momentum in the fourth quarter and mounted a three-goal comeback to tie the game before the end of regulation. Hammersly, Clarke and senior midfielder Eric Kluge all scored in the quarter. After Clarke's third cut the lead to 6-5 at the 12:22 mark, time was running down, but Kluge found the back of the cage after beating a General defender to rip a shot and knot the game with 2:45 left.

Washington and Lee controlled the ball for much of the first overtime, but junior goalkeeper Alex Taylor made three key saves in the period to keep the Gulls in the game, including a stop from point-blank range on Max Means, who attempted to go through the five hole. Taylor got low to turn away the chance and keep the game going.

The second overtime looked to be much of the same, before the Generals' Luke Heinsohn took a pass from Jack Switala from behind the cage to net the game-winning goal with nine seconds left.

Taylor played 69:51 in the cage for the Sea Gulls and made 11 saves.

Salisbury will look to rebound against Widener University on Saturday at Sea Gull Stadium; the game is set for 12:00 p.m.

* * * *

SALISBURY, Md. Senior midfielder Luke Heinsohn (Charlottesville, Va./Covenant) scored off an assist from senior midfielder Jack Switala (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) with nine seconds remaining in double overtime to lead Washington & Lee to a 7-6 win over top-ranked Salisbury on Wednesday at Seagull Stadium.

The loss gives Salisbury (1-2) its first two-game losing streak since the 2009 season and dropped the Seagulls under .500 for the first time since 1989. It was also SU's first home loss since a 16-12 setback to Stevenson on April 16, 2011. Additionally, the six goals were the fewest scored by the Seagulls since a 9-6 loss to Tufts in the 2010 National Championship game.

The teams ended a low-scoring first half tied 2-2, but the Generals (3-0) claimed four of the five goals scored in the third period to enter the final 15 minutes with a 6-3 lead. Sophomore attackman Cameron Dabir (Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich./Culver Academy) gave W&L a 3-2 lead when he scored off an assist from sophomore long-stick midfielder Noah Lessing (Babylon, N.Y./Babylon) just 15 seconds into the second half. Sophomore midfielder Garrett Paglia (Forest Hill, Md./Gilman) stretched it to a 4-2 game when he scored just 41 seconds later, and he added another goal at the 9:25 mark for a 5-2 lead.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website