No. 3 Stevenson Uses Early 5-0 Run to Down Hampden-Sydney

HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA - No. 3 Stevenson used a 5-0 first quarter to put away Hampden-Sydney, 11-5, on Saturday afternoon.

Mark Pannenton scored the opening goal 45 seconds in off a Pat Candon pass. Sam Wyatt won the ensuing face-off and took advantage of a Tiger who slipped on the field to score five seconds after Pannenton. Stevenson wouldn't find the back of the net again until 10 minutes later when Tyler Reid capitalized off an errant pass on the clear. Chris Dashiell and Reid closed out the quarter with a goal of their own.

The second frame looked like it would be without a goal, but Dashiell finished off a Peter Green pass to put the Mustangs ahead 6-0. The Tigers broke the scoreless drough just eight seconds later as Ryan Martin (Midlothian, VA/Cosby) found Thomas Armstrong (Charlotte, NC/Charlotte Latin) for a goal.

The offenses got back into the game following intermission. The Tigers took advantage of two penalties early in the quarter as James Hughes (Raleigh, NC/Middle Creek) and Martin scored man-up goals at 10:34 and 9:51 to draw within three, 6-3. Reid stopped the comeback attempt with his third and fourth goals of the contest to go back up 8-3 with 5:32 to go in the third. Martin and Dashiell ended the half by trading goals.

Hughes opened up the final stanza with a goal one minute in, but Michael Crowe and Dashiell scored the games final two goals.

Martin led the Tigers with two goals and two assists, and Hughes found the back of the net twice. Armstrong contributed a goal and an assist and Mike Funk (Chantilly, VA/Middleburg) tallied one assist. David Noftsinger (Richmond, VA/Collegiate) played 49 minutes in net, making eight saves along with picking up seven ground balls.

Reid and Dashiell each had four goals for the Mustangs while Green had three assists. Sam Wyatt won 7 of 12 face-offs while Brent Hiken went 3 for 5. Demitri Pecunes posted five stops.

The Tigers made 13 saves compared to eight for Stevenson, and H-SC also held a slim 35-33 edge in ground balls. Each team struggled with turnovers as Hampden-Sydney gave away the ball 29 times compared to 22 for Stevenson. H-SC went just 18 for 28 on clears while Stevenson posted a 22 for 25 performance. The man-down defense proved to be stout for the second game in a row, holding the Mustangs to an 0-4 output, but Stevenson outshot the Tigers 42-22.

H-SC travels to Washington, DC, on Tuesday for a 3:30 pm contest against Catholic University.

* * * *

HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. - Led by two goals each from senior Tyler Reid (Clinton, Conn./Xavier) and junior Chris Dashiell (Salisbury, Md./Parkside), Stevenson scored the game's first six goals, including five in the first quarter, as the No. 3-ranked Mustangs posted an 11-5 victory over Hampden-Sydney Saturday at Lewis C. Everett Stadium.

Stevenson (2-0) posted their second win in as many years against the Tigers after a 9-6 victory at Mustang Stadium on Feb. 25, 2012.

Reid and Dashiell each finished with four goals, combining for four of the team's first six as the Mustangs built a 6-0 lead with 27 seconds remaining in the second quarter.

Stevenson led 2-0 just 50 seconds into the game after goals by sophomore Mark Pannenton (Niskayuna, N.Y./Niskayuna) and sophomore Sam Wyatt (Brentwood, Tenn./Human Services) only five seconds apart.

Led by a goal and two assists from Ryan Martin, the Tigers (1-1) scored three-straight goals to cut their deficit in half with 9:51 left in the third quarter.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website