Haus Leads No. 2 Maryland to Victory over No. 1 Greyhounds

BALTIMORE – After top-ranked Loyola scored the first goal in both the first and second halves, Maryland used runs of 5-0 and 3-0 to gain control of the scoreboard, and the second-ranked Terrapins finished off a 12-10 non-conference victory on Saturday afternoon at Ridley Athletic Complex in front of 5,781 fans.

Mike Sawyer ripped a 12-yard shot from the left side 4:58 into the game, but it would be the last goal Loyola (2-1 overall) would score for nearly 15 minutes.

Maryland (3-0) reeled off five unanswered to go ahead, 5-1, on a Landon Carr transition goal with just three ticks left on the first-quarter clock. During the run, five different players scored for the Terrapins with the first four goals coming in settled offense.

Kevin Ryan broke up the run at 10:15 in the second quarter, scoring an extra-man goal. Brian Schultz fired a shot from the close right side, but Maryland's Nikko Amato was there for one of his 13 saves. The ball, however, bounced free in front of the cage, Ryan scooped it up and scored his third man-up goal of the season.

The Terrapins, however, bounced right back, scoring five seconds later. Charlie Raffa won the face-off cleanly to himself, and he shot down the middle unguarded. His high-to-low shot at 10:10 pushed the Maryland lead back to four. The five-second difference is tied for the fourth-fastest goal by opposing teams in NCAA history.

“You have to give them a lot of credit because that's what good teams do,” Loyola senior Scott Ratliff said. “Every time we had some momentum, the snuffed it out.”

It didn't take long for Loyola to answer Raffa's goal as Blake Burkhart won the ensuing faceoff to himself. After running to the middle, he passed it back to Jason Crane who fed Ratliff on the left side. Ratliff slung a shot from nine yards out to score 15 seconds after Raffa's goal, amking it 6-3 Maryland.

Neither team scored for nearly seven minutes before John Haus tallied his second of four goals at 3:21. He redodged and got within a yard of the crease before scoring to give the Terrapins a four-goal halftime lead.

Raffa looked to initiate offense off the opening faceoff of the second half, but his show was blocked, and Joe Fletcher picked up the ground ball to start a Loyola transition run. Laconi registered the first multi-point game of his career when he raced down the left alley, got around a defender and scored on a high shot 27 seconds into the half.

This time, Maryland went on a 3-0 run sparked by a Mike Chanenchuk goal 54 ticks after Laconi's. Haus and Kevin Cooper also scored unassisted goals, and Maryland was up, 10-4, with 10:57 remaining in the third quarter.

Justin Ward dodged hard form X to score for Loyola 47 seconds later, and Chris Layne made it back-to-back goals for the Greyhounds with a score at 8:24, reducing the Maryland lead to four, 10-6.

Haus answered for Maryland, scoring his game-high fourth goal at 6:45 to push the advantage back to five.

After Jimmy Joe Granito, who came in to goal for the Grehounds early in the third quarter, caused a turnover on the defensive end, Layne found Nikko Pontrello for a goal from the left side. Matt Sawyer then scored his first career goal after picking up a ground ball of a Sean O'Sullivan saved shot and dumping a high-to-low shot past Amato.

With Matt Sawyer's goal, Loyola had pulled within three, 11-8, at the start of the fourth quarter, and neither team managed a goal for several minutes. Billy Gribbin broke through for the Terrapins, sinking a left-handed shot off a feed from behind by Owen Blye at 3:08, and Maryland was back up four.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website