Fountain's OT Goal Lifts Hoyas Over Navy to Claim Boyle Cup

WASHINGTON Junior attack Jeff Fountain (Lutherville-Timonium, Md./St. Paul's School for Boys) scored on an assist from redshirt junior Zac Guy (Tully, N.Y./Tully) with 2:04 left in overtime, as Georgetown University (1-1, 0-0 Big East) defeated Navy (2-2, 0-0 Patriot League), 9-8 on Sunday afternoon to claim the Boyle Cup.

Fountain finished with a career-high three goals, while senior attack Brian Casey (Bethesda, Md./Georgetown Prep) had two goals and two assists to lead the Hoyas to its first win under Head Coach Kevin Warne, who played its second overtime game in as many weeks.

"Athletics is an unbelievable teaching tool and it allowed us to learn from last week and to progress this week," Warne said. "We're far from done, but I'm happy for the guys they responded to the coaching staff this week and we got a W."

The Hoyas trailed by as many as three goals in the first half, but redshirt junior Tyler Knarr (Eagleville, Pa./LaSalle College) won nine of his 11 face-off attempts after halftime, going 13 for 19 on the afternoon, while picking up 12 ground balls. Freshman goalie Alex Joyce (Chevy Chase, Md./Landon) earned his first collegiate win.

"I thought Tyler Knarr was awesome today," Warne said. "It's unique facing off with a long stick, but Tyler is quick enough to get the ball out and he did a great job.

Georgetown took an early advantage after Knarr won the opening face-off and got the ball into the stick of Casey. Casey found sophomore attack Reilly O'Connor (Brooklin, Ontario/The Hill Academy), who scored just seven seconds into the game, to take a 1-0 lead.

The Midshipmen answered quickly, as Gabe Voumard tied the score with 13:42 remaining in the first quarter. Pat Durkin and Sam Jones each found the back of the cage soon after, giving Navy a 3-1 lead with 10:35 left in the first. The score remained the same for close to 19 minutes, until Jones put Navy in front 4-1 with 6:45 remaining in the first half.

Fountain wrapped around the cage and scored to end a 4-0 Navy run with 1:38 left in the first half, bringing the Hoyas within two goals, at 4-2. He would bring the Hoyas within one goal early in the third quarter, scoring on an assist from Casey at the 12:01 mark.

After a Navy goal, Georgetown stormed back tying the game. Casey scored an unassisted goal at the 5:48 mark in the third quarter. Sophomore midfielder Charlie McCormick (Bronxville, N.Y./Bronxville) added the equalizer 22-seconds later, making the score 6-6 with 5:26 left in the third quarter.

Georgetown and Navy traded goals throughout the rest of regulation. Senior midfielder Jason McFadden Bel Air, Md./Calvert Hall) evened the score up again with 13:30 in the fourth quarter. Navy took the lead with 5:26 remaining in the game on Jones's third goal of the afternoon, but McCormick answered with his second goal of the game, 43-seconds later, to tie the score at eight.

Navy took the lead again, this time on a Durkin's goal, but Casey quickly tied the score 22 seconds later on an assist from Guy with 2:22 left in the fourth quarter.

In overtime, Knarr won the opening face-off to give Georgetown possession and Guy found Fountain less than two minutes later for the game-winner, sealing the Hoyas first win of the season and capturing the Boyle Cup for the seventh time in eight games.

"I got the ball back up top to Zac Guy, saw no one was guarding me, so I cut to the back side, (Guy) hit me with the pass from up top, the goalie stepped out and I just put it low," Fountain said about the game-winning goal.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website