Big Green Rally Past Rival Vermont in Border Battle

HANOVER, N.H. Thanks to a seven-goal surge in the fourth quarter, the Dartmouth men's lacrosse topped regional rival Vermont, 13-8, in a border battle on Tuesday afternoon at Scully-Fahey Field.

The Big Green pick up their first win of the season moving to 1-1, while the Catamounts lose their third straight falling to 0-3.

With the victory, the Green and White have won four consecutive games against UVM and move to a perfect 13-0 all-time against the Catamounts in Hanover.

A trio of first quarter goals helped set the pace early for Vermont as it held a 4-2 lead over Dartmouth heading into the half.

In the second half the Big Green offense exploded for 11 goals to score the come-from-behind triumph.

Jeff Perkins, Nikki Dysenchuk, Jack Connolly and Chris Costabile each scored two goals apiece for the team from the Upper Valley. Through the team's first two games Dysenchuk leads the Big Green with five tallies.

Adam Hull, Adam Fishman and Brendan Rotanz each scored their first goals of the season as well for Dartmouth. Fishman and Hull each had a team-high three assists in the game.

Freshmen Billy Heidt and Cam Lee continued the strong starts to their collegiate careers each scoring a goal for the second straight contest.

The Big Green erased a third quarter deficit by scoring a three unanswered goals of the final 3:40. Dartmouth pulled away in the fourth, outscoring the Catamounts 7-3.

Dartmouth outshot Vermont, 48-29, while forcing 14 UVM turnovers.

Between the pipes, senior Bernie Susskind made six saves to pick up his first career victory.

The Big Green return to action on March 2 travelling to Dallas, Texas to face Georgetown in the 2013 Patriot Cup.

* * * *

HANOVER, N.H. Dartmouth tallied seven goals in the fourth period to secure a 13-8 victory over visiting Vermont in non-conference men's lacrosse action on Wednesday afternoon. With the win, Dartmouth moves to 1-1 on the season, while Vermont falls to 0-3.

Sophomore Tim Yager got the scoring started in the first period with his first career goal just over six minutes into play. Dartmouth's leading scorer, Chris Costabile, evened things up 20 seconds later with a score off an assist from Adam Fishman.

A.J. Masson netted his first goal of the season off an assist from Thomas Martin to give the Catamounts a 2-1 lead at the 6:55 mark of the first frame. Yager pushed the lead to 3-1 with his second goal of the game with just 12 seconds remaining in the period.

Both defenses held strong in the second period, with only two goals total coming in the frame. Freshman Patrick Clark scored his first career goal off a feed from Connor McNamara at the 2:39 mark to push Vermont's lead to 4-1. Jeff Perkins answered back for Dartmouth, scoring with just under a minute left to pull the Big Green within two, 4-2, heading into halftime.

Dartmouth outscored Vermont 4-1 in the third period, as Jack Connolly added two scores, including one with 24 seconds remaining to give Dartmouth its first lead of the game, 6-5. Drew Philie tallied the Catamount's lone goal of the stanza on an unassisted goal at the 7:17 mark.

Connor McNamara added his first goal of the season just over 40 seconds into the fourth period to tie things back up at 6-6. The Big Green regained the lead a minute later off the second goal of the game from Perkins, and went on to score five out of the next six goals to take a 12-7 lead with a minute and a half remaining. Philie added his second score of the game with a minute left, but it wasn't enough as Vermont fell by a final of 13-8.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website