Hoyas Come Back to Take Patriot Cup from Dartmouth

DALLAS, Texas Junior attack Jeff Fountain (Lutherville-Timonium, Md./St. Paul's School) scored the eventual game-winning goal with over three-minutes left, then junior goalie Jake Haley (Grasonville, Md./Queen Anne's County) and Georgetown (2-1, 0-0 Big East) held Dartmouth (1-2, 0-0 Ivy League) scoreless the rest of the way to clinch a 10-9 victory for the Patriot Cup on Saturday afternoon at Gerald Ford Stadium on campus at SMU.

In a back and forth game with six ties and four lead changes, the Hoyas found themselves trailing by two goals, 9-7, midway through the fourth quarter. Senior midfielder Dan McKinney (Niskayuna, N.Y./Niskayuna) scored twice, his second goal coming with 4:16 remaining in the game tying the game at nine. Less than a minute later, during a man-up opportunity, Fountain, who led the team with two goals and four assists, received a feed from sophomore attack Reilly O'Connor (Brooklin, Ontario/The Hill Academy) in front of the cage and scored the go ahead goal.

Haley recorded two of his career-high 17 saves during the final three minutes to earn his first victory of the season in his first start of the season.

"I thought the guys did a great job facing adversity, down a couple of goals," Warne said. "We never really lost our rhythm, we just stuck to the plan, stuck to the little things and it helped us get the win at the end. I thought at points we probably played our best offense in that fourth quarter and defensively we didn't over extend ourselves, we didn't make slides that we didn't have to and Jake made 17 saves today."

Seven different players scored goals for Georgetown, with Fountain, McKinney and O'Connor each scoring twice and Fountain finding three different teammates for his four assists.

"When we run our offense the right way a lot of guys should score," Fountain said. "The guys off the ball, Reilly O'Connor and Brian Casey were moving hard and making it easy for me and I know as long as I get the ball to them they're going to finish."

Junior midfielder Zac Guy (Tully, N.Y./Tully) struck first for Georgetown with 8:32 remaining in the first quarter, gathering a rebound and scoring to give the Hoyas a 1-0 lead. Dartmouth answered just over four minutes later, as Jack Connolly scored the equalizer. The Big Green took its first lead with 2:10 remaining in the first quarter on Cam Lee's goal to take a 2-1 lead at the end of one.

O'Connor tied the score for Georgetown, converting a Fountain feed into a goal. Fountain found senior attack Brian Casey (Bethesda, Md./Georgetown Prep) with 7:02 remaining in the half, as the Blue & Gray regained the lead, 3-2. Dartmouth's Chris Costabile tied the score again, taking advantage of a man-up opportunity, but the regained the lead soon after, as sophomore midfielder Charles McCormick (Bronxville, N.Y./Bronxville) scored on Fountain's assist to take a 4-3 lead. The Big Green retied the score with five seconds remaining in the half as Nikki Dysenchuk scored on Chris Costabile's feed, evening the score at four goals apiece at halftime.

The Hoyas came out of halftime quickly, as sophomore midfielder William Flatley (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga ) scored a fast break goal, the first of his collegiate career, to regain the lead. Fountain scored just over a minute later to give GU a two goal lead, its largest lead of the game, at 6-4. The Big Green's Adam Hull quickly tied the score with a pair of goals separated by one minute, tying the game at six. Less than a minute later, O'Connor put Georgetown back in front, 7-6.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website