Bears' Defense Holds Down Jaspers

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Trailing by three at halftime, Manhattan was unable to mount a comeback, falling 10-4 on the road to Brown on Sunday afternoon. It was the third straight loss by the Jaspers (0-3) to start the season.

The game started rather quickly for the Bears (3-0) as Lindsay Minges scored just 57 seconds into the game for an early lead. Junior Carly Eskenazi responded for Manhattan, knotting the game up at 1-1 off a free-position shot with 26:26 to play in the first half. However, Brown would score the final three of the stanza, while keeping the Jaspers at bay to lead 4- 1 going into halftime.

Out of the break, it was more of the same as Brown continued to pepper the net. Healy Grace scored off a free-position shot to begin the second frame for the Bears would go on to score the first five goals of the half to lead 9-1 with 12:39 to play. The eight goal run was finally snapped by Claire Kerrisk who buried her second goal of the season. She would be followed by Eskenazi and Kelsey Rehain as the Jaspers closed the gap to 9-4 with just 5:08 remaining.

A tally by Carolyn Westphal one minute later sealed the victory for Brown, who outshot Manhattan 30-18 in the game including 21 shots on goal. Both teams played solid defense throughout the game as the Jaspers forced 22 turnovers but committed 28 of their own. The Bears also converted good on 16 of 22 clear attempts and held Manhattan to 16-30 on their tries. The draw control battle was narrow, with Brown winning nine of the 16.

Christina Fiorinelli made 11 saves in the cage for Manhattan while Brown's Kellie Roddy played more than 47 minutes making four saves, before giving way to Victoria Holland for the final 12:39 of the contest. Senior Amy Branchini led both teams in caused turnovers, three, and ground balls, four.

The Jaspers will return home this coming week for a Wednesday matinee with LIU-Brooklyn. First draw is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. on March 6, at Gaelic Park.


Create a free lacrosse website