Hartwick Rallies from Early Deficit, Upends Oneonta State

ONEONTA, NY- Hartwick scored five straight times in the first quarter after falling behind 3-0 to Oneonta State and came out with a 12-10 victory at All College Field on Tuesday afternoon. The win improves Hartwick's record to 3-1 overall, while Oneonta slips to 1-4.

Harry Hughes (Holtsville, NY/Sachem East) led 'Wick with four goals and assisted on another. Cody Ciolino (Nesconest, NY/Sachem North) added three goals and one assist. Bobby Cassidy (Oceanside, NY/Oceanside) and Giuseppe Rice (Peekskill, NY/Peekskill) both had a pair of scores. Jake Cooper (Manlius, NY/Fayetteville-Manlius) scored once.

Oneonta was led by Anthony Laureano's four goals. Connor Coyle had three scores. Josh Heller, Nick Sorrillo and Jim van de Veerdonk all scored once.

The Red Dragons wasted no time in the opening minutes of the first quarter as they scored three goals in less than three minutes. The first score came just 36 seconds into the period on Coyle's first of the game. Laureano then followed Coyle 36 seconds afterwards to make it 2-0 Oneonta and then just over a minute and a half later, Coyle scored again to put the Red Dragons ahead 3-0 to force the Hawks to call their first timeout of the game.

The Hawks finally got on the scoreboard with just under nine minutes remaining in the frame when Mike Vaglica (Newton, MA/Newton) connected with Ciolino for the goal. That goal ignited a 5-0 Hawk run that saw Hartwick take a 5-3 lead heading into the second quarter of play.

Early in the second quarter, a slashing penalty on Hartwick's Rocky Dinga (Binghamton, NY/Chenango Valley) gave the Red Dragons the extra-man opportunity. Oneonta would take advantage when Coyle scored his third goal of the game to make it 5-4 Hartwick.

The Red Dragons tied the game at 5-all at 11:37 on a goal by Sorrillo. Following an O-State failed clear attempt and turnover, Ciolino passed to Cooper who deposited the ball into the back of the net to regain the lead for Hartwick. A penalty on Hartwick, however, gave Oneonta another man-up opportunity which it would cash in at 5:09 on Laureano's goal. The score remained tied 6-6 at halftime.

In the third quarter, the Hawks scored three times to go up 9-6 with 6:17 left in the period. A quick Red Dragon goal made it 9-7 and another made it 9-8 at 1:17. Cassidy's third score of the game with 21 seconds left in the stanza put Hartwick ahead 10-8 heading into the final quarter of play.

The score remained 10-8 in Hartwick's favor for almost six and a half minutes as the Hawk defense held back the Red Dragons. Ciolino's goal at 8:34 gave the Hawks an 11-8 lead. O-State would score twice following two 'Wick turnovers and the Hartwick lead was done to one, 11-10, with 1:37 showing on the clock.

With 1:09 left to play, Oneonta's Wes Bank was called for unnecessary roughness and the Hawks took immediate advantage with Hughes' goal at 1:01 to put Hartwick ahead 12-10. Oneonta won the ensuing faceoff and got a shot off that was blocked by Hawks goalie Carl Lengel (Lynbrook, NY/Lynbrook). Cooper scooped up the groundball and 'Wick ran out the clock to hold on for the win.

Lengel started in goal for the Hawks had a career-high 16 saves. Chris Miles stopped 19 shots for the Red Dragons.

Hartwick won despite being outshot 50-44 by Oneonta. The Red Dragons also led in groundballs 39-24. Cooper led the Hawks in groundballs with six.

The Hawks will next host SUNY Potsdam this Saturday at Wright Stadium. Game time will be at 1:00 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website