No. 12 Denison Zooms Past Seahawks

Baltimore, Md. -- No. 12 Denison improved to 4-1 on the season after an 11-6 victory over St. Mary's (Md.) at Homewood Field on the campus of Johns Hopkins University.

The Big Red took command of the game early as they took a 5-0 lead in the opening nine minutes of play. Five different offensive players got in the scoring act early as Teddy Powell, Tyler King, Eddie Vita, Justin DeMarchi and Chapin Speidel all put a tally on the board.

The Falcons would rebound with three-straight goals that would make the game 5-3 with less than nine minutes left in the second quarter. DeMarchi would strike again at the 5:35 mark, and after a slashing call on St. Mary's Dalton Yohn, Vita would score his seventh goal of the year and second EMO goal of the 2013 campaign.

St. Mary's would get a score from Patrick Mull with 3:16 left in the first half setting the halftime score at 7-4. That three-goal deficit would be as close as the Falcons would get as the Big Red would score the first four goals of the second half to take a commanding 11-4 lead with 7:24 to play.

Vita, the North Coast Athletic Conference's current Player of the Week, led all players with four goals and one assist. The junior also posted two caused turnovers.

After spending 10:30 in the penalty area against Haverford on Saturday, Denison committed just two turnovers resulting in 1:30 in man-up time for St. Mary's. The Falcon's final goal with 54 seconds to play came in extra-man. The Big Red was 2 of 5 in its extra-man situations.

DU posted 36 ground balls and caused 11 turnovers on the afternoon. Tommy Harrison and Powell led the way with five ground balls. Austin Campbell, Chip Phillips, and Spencer Riehl each had four while Drew Newman added two ground balls and two caused turnovers. In face-off situations, Phillips was 11 for 19.

Offensively, Matt King posted three assists while DeMarchi and Tyler King scored two goals apiece.

In cage, Denison's Chris Thomas played all 60 minutes and posted four saves. For St. Mary's, Joey Casey got the start and allowed seven goals in 26 minutes before being replaced by Scott Marsh late in the second quarter. Marsh fared better in cage for St. Mary's, posting 13 saves while allowing four goals in 34 minutes.

Denison will close out its spring break trip on Sunday when they play Centre College in Charlottesville, Va. The game will be played at St. Anne's-Belfield School at 2:00 p.m.

* * * *

Baltimore, Md. St. Mary's College fell behind early in succumbing to an 11-6 loss to No. 12 Denison Wednesday afternoon. The game was played at Homewood Field on the campus of Johns Hopkins University.

Senior attackman Patrick Mull (Fallston, Md./Fallston) paced the St. Mary's (2-4) offense with three points on a goal and two assists while junior midfielder Ben Love (Owings Mills, Md./McDonogh) contributed with a pair of scores.

Denison (3-1) opened up the game with five straight goals before sophomore attackman Matt Tarrant (Mount Airy, Md./Urbana) finally put the Seahawks on the board with his team-leading 10th goal of the season, cutting the deficit to four with 2:02 remaining in the first quarter.

St. Mary's (2-3) extended its scoring streak into the second period as Mull dished out his team-best 13th assist to junior captain Gordy Long (Monkton, Md./St. Paul's School) for a 5-2 Big Red lead at 11:16. Love closed the gap to two with an unassisted goal at 8:56. Denison responded with two goals in a span of one minute and 35 seconds, including a man-up goal, to head into halftime with a 7-4 advantage following Mull's goal at 3:16.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website