No. 10 Stevens Just Escapes in Battle with Montclair State

HOBOKEN, N.J. (March 20, 2013) No. 10 Stevens came away with a hard-fought 12-11 battle against Montclair State on Wednesday evening at the De Baun Athletic Complex. Throughout the entire contest, neither team led by more than three goals, and there were six ties and seven lead changes.

Stevens (6-2) fell behind Montclair State (4-3) off the opening faceoff, as Kenneth Bogert won the draw and staked the Red Hawks to a quick 1-0 advantage in the first 34 seconds of the game. Just one minute later, the Ducks evened the score on the first of three tallies by senior Harrison Dorne (Morristown, N.J.), which came unassisted with 13:21 left in the first quarter.

Sophomore Michael Frasco (Spring Lake, N.J.) gave Stevens its first lead of the ball game on another unassisted marker with 7:17 remaining to pick up his first of two scores. Dorne then increased the Ducks' edge off a pass from senior Rich Dupras (Hillsborough, N.J.) with 5:34 to go.

Montclair answered right back 17 seconds later to make the contest a 3-2 lead for Stevens at the 5:17 mark of the opening period. Sophomore Michael Maroon (Virginia Beach, Va.) got in on the action with the final goal of the quarter off a feed from junior Charlie Cronin (Northampton, Mass.) with just 31 ticks left before the teams switched sides of the field.

As the second quarter got underway, freshman Michael Ainbinder (Baldwin, N.Y.) posted his first collegiate goal in the opening minute of the period on the second assist from Dupras to give the Ducks their largest lead of the match at that time, 5-2.

Bogert brought Montclair back to a two-goal deficit 1:05 later for his second of four tallies on the evening. Bogert was an all-around presence on the field for the Red Hawks, as he won 15 of 24 faceoffs and scooped up nine groundballs.

The contest was eventually knotted up at 5-5 with 8:13 left in the second quarter after Montclair rolled off two more goals in a three-minute span. Senior Nicolas Philippi (Mullica Hill, N.J.) put the Ducks back in front, 6-5, less than a minute later on his first goal of a hat trick effort.

Montclair then tied the game at 6-6 at the 6:03 mark, and regained the lead at 7-6 for the first time since the opening goal of the contest with 5:14 left before halftime.

Stevens would close out the half with two more tallies to take a slim, 8-7, edge into the locker room after an unassisted marker by Frasco and another goal by Philippi off a pass from Dupras with 1:34 remaining.

The Ducks stormed out to open the second half and posted two more goals to cap off a four-goal run over the first four minutes of the third period. Dorne finished off his offensive output with 12:55 left and then Dupras registered his first goal of the contest two minutes later. Dupras would finish with a game-high six points on four assists and two goals.

After Stevens went up, 10-7, the Red Hawks mounted another comeback with three straight tallies to wrap up the third period and head into the final 15 minutes deadlocked at 10-10. The first goal of the run came 41 second after Dupras' goal and the second marker came 1:50 later. Both teams went cold over the next 8:21 before Montclair found the back of the net with just five seconds left in the quarter.

Stevens was awarded 10 man-up chances in the game and only capitalized on one, which happened to be Philippi's final goal of the contest and gave the Ducks an 11-10 lead to open the fourth.

Montclair came right back with Bogert's fourth and final score with 8:40 left in regulation to knot the game at 11 apiece. Over the next six minutes, neither team could put another tally on the board until Dupras capped off his night with the game-winner at 2:43.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website