Saint Anselm Escapes with One-Goal Win vs. Assumption

MANCHESTER, N.H. Juniors Ryan Mee (Medway, Mass.) and Andrew Messner (Wakefield, R.I.) each scored three points as Saint Anselm earned its first victory of the season over Assumption, 8-7, at Grappone Stadium.

With the win, the Hawks will improve to 1-4 overall and 1-1 in Northeast-10 play, while the Greyhounds will dip to a 0-5 overall record and 0-3 in league play.

The Hawks jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead in the opening three minutes of the game with goals from Andy Budz (Williamstown, Mass.) and Jake Mallinson (Middletown, R.I.) Geoff Kennedy (Gloucester, Mass.) fed the pass to Mallinson at 2:48 of the first quarter for the two goal lead.

Kennedy added a goal of his own with 5:21 remaining in the first after receiving a pass from Ben Warren (Georgetown, Mass.) making it a 3-0 game.

Assumption answered back with 1:25 remaining in the first when Seamus Kennedy struck first for the Greyhounds, on a dish from Peter Gersbeck.

The Greyhounds opened scoring in the second quarter with a strike on the extra-man advantage when Garrett Smith connected with Ian Mack. The Hawks came with the answer, however, when Messner scored his first point of the contest to double up Saint Anselm's lead at 4-2 with 7:24 remaining.

Ty Martina netted the ball past Hawk goalkeeper Jonathon O'Reilly (Plano, Texas) to put the Greyhounds within one, at 4-3, heading into the break.

Mack opened scoring in the third when he found the back of the net 2:13 into the quarter. Messner had the answer for Saint Anselm, however, as he picked up a pass from Mee, to take back the lead at 5-4. Smith scored again for the Greyhounds, knotting the game at five apiece heading into the final 15 minutes of play.

Mee's tally 2:42 into the final quarter broke the tie for the second time and gave Saint Anselm back the lead at 6-5. Smith scored his third of the game thanks to a pass from Mack, before Warren and James Peters (Medway, Mass.) scored back-to-back for the Hawks to take back the lead for the final time, 8-6.

Assumption's one-goal rally to end the game came from Smith, while the Greyhounds were playing with the extra man.

O'Reilly made 11 saves, while Will Contento stopped seven of 15 shots. The Hawks held a 33-27 edge in shots on goal. Faceoffs were split as each team won nine apiece.

The Hawks will return to action on Wednesday, March 27 when they hit the road for the first time in the 2013 season and travel to Bentley University for a 7:00 p.m. tilt.

* * * *

Manchester, N.H. (March 23) -- Despite a four-goal effort from sophomore Garrett Smith (East Syracuse, N.Y./East Syracuse Minoa), Assumption dropped an 8-7 final to Saint Anselm on a sunny Saturday afternoon at Grappone Stadium. Saint Anselm is receiving votes in this week's USILA Division II National Poll.

Saint Anselm jumped on top early with a pair of goals within 46 seconds of each other for the 2-0 edge just 2:48 into the first. Andy Budz scored on an unassisted tally, while Jake Mallinson scored from 15 yards out to make it a 2-0 margin. The Hawks extended that lead to 3-0 with 5:21 left in the opening quarter as Geoff Kennedy scored from the right of the net for his fourth goal of the season.

Assumption answered though with 1:25 left in the period as Peter Gersbeck (Wading River, N.Y./Shoreham-Wading River) cut towards the net before throwing it back out to Seamus Kennedy (Longmeadow, Mass./Longmeadow), who tallied his first career goal to cut the lead down to 3-1 after one quarter.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website