Rush Dominate Rock in Sunday Matinee

Toronto – The Edmonton Rush (8-5) defeated the Toronto Rock (8-4) by a score of 17-12 on Sunday afternoon at Air Canada Centre. The win by the Rush was their fifth straight victory, each of them coming away from home.

The Rock were outshot 22-8 in the first quarter and trailed 6-2 after the opening 15 minutes. Edmonton's defence stifled the Rock offence on almost every possession in the first quarter.

Edmonton scored twice on their first three shots of the second quarter and Zak Boychuk replaced starter Nick Rose in the Toronto goal as Edmonton built an 8-2 lead. Edmonton scored to make it 9-2, but from there the Rock went on a three goal run to close out the first half trailing 9-5.

Things didn't improve much for the Rock in the third quarter as the Rush continued to pile on. Without fail, Edmonton answered each Rock tally and led 14-8 at the end of the third frame.

The Rush continued to control the pace of the game by finishing on their opportunities in the fourth quarter. A four-goal deficit was as close as the Rock could get, but Edmonton showed they weren't going to give Toronto the faintest of hope by keeping their foot on the gas pedal until the final buzzer.

Boychuk stopped 23 of 31 shots he faced in relief of Rose who also allowed 8 goals. Edmonton outshot the Rock 57-41 on the afternoon.

Garrett Billings, Colin Doyle and Kasey Beirnes all had hat-tricks for the Rock and Billings topped all point-getters with 8 as he added 5 assists.

The Rock will continue this mini 2-game home stand with a game on Friday night against the Buffalo Bandits at 7:00 pm at Air Canada Centre.

* * * *

Toronto, ON--The Edmonton Rush (8-5) earned a weekend sweep and their fifth-straight victory to move atop the West Division with a 17-12 road win over the East Division-leading Toronto Rock (8-4) before a crowd of 9,947 at Air Canada Centre on Sunday afternoon.

Edmonton rookie Mark Matthews opened the scoring 4:20 into the game and the Rush did not look back as they led the rest of the way.

“We were not prepared,” said Rock head coach Troy Cordingley. “That's a very solid team and I'm not sure if it was us not respecting them, but they dominated us for 60 minutes.”

In a shaky first quarter, Toronto found themselves trailing 6-2 after the first 15 minutes of the game. The bleeding continued into the second frame as Edmonton forwards Brett Mydske, Zack Greer and Jeremy Thompson each scored in a span of 5:25 en route to a commanding 9-2 advantage for the Rush.

Despite the deficit, the Rock did manage find a little life in the latter minutes of the first half. In a span of 6:13, Kasey Beirnes, Colin Doyle and Garrett Billings each scored during a three-goal run to cut the lead to four goals heading into halftime.

Edmonton, however, would pull away in the second half by outscoring the Rock by a score of 11-7 over the final two quarters.

From the first whistle to last, the Rock were dominated on both ends of the floor. The Rush got off a staggering 63 shots and created a number of fast break opportunities. Meanwhile, Toronto had a hard time finding space in Edmonton's defense and finished with only 41 shots.

“We've got some work to do, let that be a lesson learned,” said Rock captain Colin Doyle. “[Thankfully] that wasn't the last game of the year.”

In a game with many lows, the lone bright spot for Toronto was their continued proficiency on the power play. The Rock went 4 for 6 with the man advantage and continued a three-game streak with a power play percentage of 50% or higher.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website