Nowicki Scores at 0:31 to Lift No. 4 Shoremen Past Haverford

HAVERFORD, PA Junior midfielder Hunter Nowicki (Baltimore, MD/Franklin) scored three goals, including the game-winning score with 31 seconds left, as fourth-ranked Washington College edged host Haverford, 11-10, in a Centennial Conference game at Swan Field on Wednesday evening. The Shoremen improve to 8-0 on the year and 2-0 in the conference, while the Fords fall to 3-5 and 0-2 respectively.

The Shoremen are now 3-0 in games decided by one goal this season, beating #20 St. Mary's (MD), 13-12 in overtime on March 5, and nipping Ohio Wesleyan, 8-7, on March 14.

Washington got the ball with 1:11 left in the fourth quarter on a ground ball by senior defenseman Zack Fuller (Millbrook, NY/Canterbury School (CT) after Haverford lost the ball. After the Shoremen cleared it, they called a timeout with 63 seconds left.

After a ground ball pickup by senior attackman Matt Lewis (Mt. Airy, MD/Glenelg Country School), the ball wound up in the stick of junior midfielder Kodie Englehart (Coronado, CA/Coronado). Englehart found Nowick,i who scored the game-winning goal, his 14th of the season, with 31 ticks remaining to put the Shoremen up 11-10. Sophomore midfielder Grant Hughes (Alexandria, VA/St. Stephen's & St. Agnes) scooped up the ground ball off the face-off and Washington ran out the clock to record the victory.

The Shoremen struck just 10 seconds into the game when sophomore midfielder/face-off specialist Michael Trapp (White Plains, NY/White Plains) scored off the face-off that he had won for his fourth goal of the year to put WC up 1-0. The Fords answered with 11:53 left in the first quarter when Jack Bodine scored off of a pass from Scott Chanelli to tie the game at 1-1.

The guests responded just 74 seconds later, when senior midfielder Patrick Coyle (Reisterstown, MD/Calvert Hall) finished off a feed from Englehart to put Washington ahead 2-1. Haverford tied the game again at 2-2 when Henry Millson assisted on Geoff Geppert's goal with 8:34 left in the first. Haverford took its first lead of the game with 1:35 remaining in the quarter when Bodine netted his second goal of the quarter with Christian Clay registering the helper.

The visitors scored the first three goals of the second quarter in the first 3:25 to grab a 5-3 lead. Washington knotted the game at 3-3 1:11 into the second quarter when Lewis scored with Hughes recording the assist. Just 56 ticks later, junior midfielder Nowicki put Washington back up front, 4-3, on an unassisted tally. Freshman midfielder Sid Looney (Westhampton, NY/Westhampton) made it 5-3 with 11:35 remaining in the second.

Haverford ended the run when Millson scored unassisted to cut the lead to 5-4 with 9:03 remaining in the first half. The Shoremen took a two-goal lead at 6-4 with 62 seconds left in the second quarter on Nowicki's second of the game, but the Fords got one back with 28 seconds remaining in the half when Clay finished off a pass from Nick Schoen to trim Washington's lead to 6-5 and that would be the halftime score.

The Fords scored the first goal of the third quarter to tie contest at 6-6 with 11:19 left in the third when Jake Maldonado scored with Geppert registering the assist. Haverford took its first lead since early in the second quarter Clay scored on a man-up situation with 7:52 left in the third to make it 7-6, but Washington responded just 23 seconds later when senior attackman Bennett Cord (Gaithersburg, MD/Gaithersburg) scored unassisted to knot the game at 7-7.

Geppert put Haverford back in front, 8-7, on a Maldonado assist with 5:41 left in the third. The Shoremen tied the game at 8-8 with 4:12 remaining in the third when Hughes scored with Cord picking up the assist. Haverford retook the lead at 9-8 when Dan LoSardo finished off a pass from Millson with 2:57 left in the third.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website