Hartwick Almost Weathers Storm at Keuka

KEUKA PARK, NY Hartwick fell just short of its third straight win on Wednesday, as host Keuka tallied in the waning seconds to break a 6-6 deadlock in a thrilling 7-6 game.

The Storm's Taylor Smith scooped up a ground ball in front of Hartwick's goal and scored the game-winner with 33 seconds left, which was also her fifth goal of the game. The Hawks won the ensuing draw but turned it over before they could get a shot off. The Storm won the ground ball and ran out the final 10 seconds to earn the victory.

With the setback, Hartwick slips to 3-4 on the season. Keuka improves to 2-1 on the campaign with the win.

Sophomores Lisa Littleton (Yorktown, NY/Yorktown) and Emily Jweid (Marcy, NY/Whitesboro) each scored twice to pace Hartwick offensively. Freshman Kia Ference (Schenectady, NY/Schenectady) contributed a goal and an assist and junior Meg Luce (Saratoga Springs, NY/Saratoga Springs) also tallied.

Senior Kate O'Shea (Ridgewood, NJ/Ridgewood), junior Kate Purcell (Buffalo, NY/Mount Mercy Academy), and sophomore Jackie Moynihan (West Islip, NY/West Islip) also dished out assists for the Hawks. Hartwick keeper Steph Luce (Saratoga Springs, NY/Saratoga Springs) made 11 saves in the game, which was her second-highest total of the season.

Today's contest was close from the opening whistle. The game was either tied or one team held a one-goal lead for a total 44 minutes and seven seconds.

The Storm would jump out in front with a pair of goals inside the first five minutes of action. Smith found the net at 28:44 and again at 25:01 and the hosts led 2-0.

It took the Hawks over 14 minutes to find the net before Littleton got her team on the scoreboard with a goal set up by Purcell. One minute, thirty seconds later, the Hawks knotted the score at 2-2 as Ference set up Luce for her tenth goal of the season at 14:29.

The game remained even for close to six minutes until Jweid, the reigning Empire 8 Conference Player of the Week, struck twice in 40 seconds. She scored an unassisted goal with 8:44 to go in the half and tallied off a feed from O'Shea at 8:04 and Hartwick led 4-2.

Jennifer Burt would cut the deficit in half with 3:36 left on the clock and the Hawks headed into halftime up a goal, 4-3.

After close to 11 minutes of scoreless action in the second half, Ference increased the Hawks' lead to two goals with an unassisted score with 19:22 left to play in the contest. The Hawks, however, would go goalless for close to 10 minutes as the Storm scored three unanswered goals to retake the lead.

Maggie Bonafede pulled Keuka to within one with 16:59 left and Smith tied the game at 5-5 on a free-position goal 3:01 later.

Just 1:41 after tying the score, Smith was at it again with 12:17 remaining as she gave her team the lead with Kaycee Maguire assisting and Keuka was in front for the first time since the middle of the first half.

The Hawks called timeout to regroup and they answered to tie the game for the third time 2:37 later. Littleton scored her tenth goal of the year with Moynihan assisting to set the stage for a wild final 10 minutes.

The Storm won the draw and Burt had a chance to put her team in the lead but her shot was turned away by Steph Luce in the Hartwick cage. With under six minutes to go, it was Keuka keeper Molly Hogan to the rescue as she stopped a Moynihan effort. Less than a minute later, Meg Luce had another chance but Hogan came up with another save to keep the game level.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website