Princeton Uses 5-0 Second Half Run to Down No. 11 Cornell

ITHACA, N.Y. Big Red suffered its third straight defeat on Saturday afternoon, falling 12-10 to Princeton as its late comeback attempt fell short.

The No. 11 Big Red (6-3, 2-2 Ivy League) led 8-7 at halftime, but the visiting Tigers (6-3, 3-0) scored five consecutive goals at the start of the second half to take a 12-8 lead that it would not relinquish.

Kelly Lang and Emily Tripodi scored goals late for Cornell, and Tripodi's came with 9:07 left in the contest, but the Big Red was unable to get another quality chance on goal.

Princeton spent most of the second half intentionally stalling on offense, passing the ball around the fan and not taking shots to drain the clock once it had its four-goal lead. The strategy worked to perfection thanks to the Tigers gaining possession on multiple draws and forcing Big Red turnovers on the few draw controls it did win.

Cornell extended its streak of having at least one player record a hat trick to 32 games as Sarah Hefner led the way with three goals. Tripodi had two goals and two assists to lead Cornell with four points. Caroline Salisbury, Lindsay Toppe, Amanda D'Amico and Chelsea Rowe also had goals for the Big Red.

Courtney Gallagher took the loss in net as she allowed five goals in the first half and then five more in the second. Carly Gneiwek played nine minutes late in the first half, but Gallagher came back in to play all 30 minutes of the second.

Cornell was better in almost every stat in the first half, but the second half saw Princeton come out firing. Jaci Gassawway had two goals while Erin McMunn, Erin Slifer and Charlotte Davis had one each as the Tigers went on a 5-0 run in the first 18 minutes of the half.

Lang finally broke a 24-minute scoreless stretch for Cornell to make the game 12-9, and Tripodi scored a minute later to make it 12-10. That would be the last goal for Cornell, though. Cornell did win the ensuing draw, and D'Amico had a free position opportunity to bring the game within one, but Tigers goalie Caroline Franke made the save with 8:40 to go.

Four minutes came off the clock before Cornell was able to force a turnover, but the Big Red lost the ball immediately, giving the ball back to Princeton. The Tigers drained the clock to 1:26 when Kate Ivory caused a Big Red turnover, but by then it was too late.

The first half was a high-scoring affair as the teams traded goals left and right. Cornell went ahead 2-0 early on strikes from Rowe starting for the first time this season and Hefner, but Princeton got two back immediately to tie the game.

Hefner scored her second next, and D'Amico scored as well for the Big Red to make it a 4-2 lead midway through the half. From there, the teams exchanged goals throughout the rest of the half, with Hefner getting the last one with 3:28 left to make it an 8-7 Big Red advantage at the break.

The Big Red travels to No. 15 Dartmouth for its next game. The Big Red and Big Green square off on Saturday at noon.


Create a free lacrosse website