Forster Goal Gives USM One-Goal Win over Keene State

GORHAM, Maine -- Junior Rosie Forster (Andover, Mass.) scored a goal with 9.9 seconds left on the clock to break a 7-7 tie and push Southern Maine past Keene State, 8-7, in the teams' opening Little East Conference match-up at Hannaford Field Saturday afternoon.

With the win, the Huskies improve 5-2 overall and 1-0 in the LEC. The Owls drop to 2-5 and 0-1 in conference play.

Forster took a pass from sophomore Jill Whitelaw (Kennebunk, Maine) deep in the Huskies' zone, and ran the length of the field before making a move past a Keene defender and beating Keene junior goaltender Erin Taylor (Brewster, N.Y.) to complete the hat trick and give the Southern Maine the win. The goal was Forster's 16th of the year. Forster also dished out one assist, picked up two ground balls, and won a game-high six draw controls.

Junior Jacki Kelly (Brunswick, Maine) continued her solid 2013 campaign with three goals, one assist, two ground balls, and two draw controls. Kelly leads the team with 21 goals. Freshmen Anh Nguyen (South Portland, Maine) and Shauna Robert (Lyman, Maine/Massabesic) also scored goals for Southern Maine.

Keene State junior Julie Trombetta (Trumbull, Conn.) led the Owls with two goals and three ground balls. Seniors Lauren Brown (Agawam, Mass.) and Nicole Curry (Hampstead, N.H./Pinkerton), junior Eliza Witherbee (Newburyport, Mass/Oldfields School), sophomore Lindsay Conroy (Londonderry, N.H.), and freshman Kaitlin Nolan (Mahopac, N.Y.) scored one goal apiece for the Owls.

Southern Maine junior goalie Kim Vogel (Sanford, Maine) earned the win making 14 saves on the day. Taylor, who stopped 10 Southern Maine shots, was tagged with the loss.

Southern Maine took a 2-0 lead off goals from Kelly and Robert 26 seconds apart in the 11th minute of first half. Keene would claw its way back, cutting the Southern Maine lead to 2-1 with a goal from Nolan at 16:59, and tying the score on Trombetta's first goal at 14:58.

Nguyen scored just over three minutes later at 11:54 to put the Huskies up 3-2, but Curry answered with a goal for Keene with 6:06 to play in the half, tying it 3-3 heading into the break.

The Huskies came out of the halftime break and scored three unanswered goals to take a 6-3 lead with 18:22 remaining. The run was highlight by two goals from Kelly, and a goal by Forster off an assist from Kelly.

Keene fought back once again with goals from Trombetta and Witherbee to cut the Huskies' lead to 6-5 with seven minutes remaining. Forster then scored an unassisted goal 19 seconds later to put the Huskies up 7-5, but Keene went on another two-goal swing with goals by Conroy and Brown in the final three minutes to tie it 7-7. After a Keene State turnover in front of Vogel, Whitelaw picked up the ground ball and passed it to Forster who raced the length of the field for the game winner.

The Huskies return to action on Tuesday (4:00 p.m.) when they host the University of Maine Farmington in a makeup game. The Owls will host Colby-Sawyer College on Tuesday (3:30 p.m.).


Create a free lacrosse website