No. 12 Denison Pulls Away from Oberlin

Oberlin, Ohio Oberlin had the nation's 12th ranked team on the ropes early on, but the Big Red of Denison eventually proved why they are one of the country's best teams en route to earning a 12-3 win over the Yeomen on Tuesday afternoon.

Oberlin controlled possession for most of the first quarter, scoring the only two goals of the period. Senior captain Connor Jackson took a pass in the crease from Alex Wagman and beat the Denison goalie with a shot down low for the game's first goal at the 9:18 mark. He would later add a second tally with just seconds remaining in the period.

Unfortunately, the Big Red would wake up in the second quarter, as back-to-back finishes from Will Koontz would quickly even up the score. Following another Denison goal, Jackson would cash in his third tally of the game off an assist from Wagman to tie the game at 3-3 with 2:59 left in the first half. However, little did anyone know at that time it would be the last Yeomen goal of the contest.

Denison would at two more goals to lead 5-3 at the break and then added seven more in the second half, while keeping the Yeomen offense silent. Oberlin didn't register a single shot in the third period.

The Big Red finished with a 40-29 edge in shots, but the Yeomen won 13 of the game's 19 face-offs. Eli Clark-Davis had a strong day with 12 wins on 18 tries, while also matching a career-high with 10 ground balls.

Rookie netminder Miles Brooke matched a career-best with 14 saves in the setback.

Oberlin, which fell to 4-5 overall and 0-2 in the NCAC, returns to action next Tuesday when it welcomes Wittenberg University to town for a 4:30 p.m. tilt.

* * * *

After enduring a bit of a slow start, No. 12 Denison outscored Oberlin 12-1 over the final three quarters, resulting in a 12-3 road victory by the Big Red.

Oberlin hasn't defeated the Big Red in men's lacrosse since 1964, but the Yeomen had upset on their minds after taking a 2-0 lead in the first quarter. Oberlin won all three face-off's in the first period and outshot DU 10-4. Connor Jackson scored both goals for the home team and Denison committed six of its 16 turnovers over the course of the first 15 minutes of play.

In the second quarter, DU tied things rather quickly as sophomore attack, Will Koontz, scored back-to-back goals off passes from Chapin Speidel.

With 6:14 left in the second quarter Eddie Vita would notch his first of four goals off a feed from Justin DeMarchi. The Yeomen would tie the game at 3-3 when Jackson struck again after a save by Oberlin goalie Miles Brooke.

Oberlin would take the ensuing face-off but a pair of shots by Sean Higgins sailed wide and DU got out in transition. With 25 seconds left in the half, Vita would score after receiving a pass from Blair Farinholt. The Yeomen, who won 13 of 19 face-off's on the day, got another win after Vita's goal, but Eli Clark-Davis would quickly turn it over and after Ben Hearn secured the ground ball with 16 seconds left, Denison would call a time out to diagram a final shot of the first half.

The last shot would come with three seconds left when Blair Farinholt sent a rocket past Brooke, via a feed from Teddy Powell, sending DU into the intermission with a 5-3 lead.

In the second half the Denison defense would hold the Yeomen scoreless and the offense, paced by three more goals from Vita, would hang seven more goals on Oberlin, setting the final at 12-3.

Vita finished with five goals, one assist and two ground balls off seven shots. Koontz tallied three goals and one assist off seven shots and Powell added three assists and one goal while taking seven shots. Spencer Riehl led the defense with five ground balls and two caused turnovers. Austin Campbell and Hearn also added four ground balls apiece.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website